$5 gas perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jim and di said:
Something wrong with that calculator. I did purchase a new VW bug in 1965 for $1750 according to the formula Its worth 12,300 today. Where? I will take three. Also gas tax has far exceeded inflation adding to the price of a gallon.
M2C
There's nothing wrong with the calculator. It doesn't have a clue about what a VW bug was or is worth, it only determines the relative value of the US dollar adjusted for inflation over time. State and Federal gas taxes currently add on average about 45 cents to the cost of a gallon of gas. Most gas taxes are a fixed amount per gallon, not a percentage, so the price changes do not affect them.

In Michigan we have a state tax, a federal tax and a sales tax on a gallon of gas. I do believe that the tax per gallon is around $0.50. I'm not sure where all the tax money goes as we in Michigan have some really bad roads. We cant blame the frost for it, as when I go to other states (Minnesota, Wisconsin) it appears to me that their roads are in better condition. So far (as of today) the gas price is averaging around $3.40/gal. Crude oil yesterday was down to $96/barrel(I think,) so I think I'll just go fill up the motorhome while the gettin is good. ;D

codgerbill said:
I think I'll just go fill up the motorhome while the gettin is good. ;D

I had the same thought this morning, seeing gas prices "down" to $3.43...  :p  Pretty discouraging that is currently a low price, and Spring isn't even officially here yet.

I just paid $107 for a months worth of water and sewer service to an empty house that has the water turned off while we're gone. And I paid $68 for two months worth of garbage service without taking my cans to the curb because the house is empty. AND, if you think that's bad I got my county tax statement which says I owe $90 for "water runoff retention". That's paying for the county to take the rainwater away from my property, however the state says they own the rainwater and I'm not allowed to catch it and then water my lawn at another time with "their" water. If the state owns the water, shouldn't they pay to control it? All these bills are required by ordinances. Every homeowner must pay for garbage service even if they don't use it. Every home must be connected to water and sewer service even if not using it.

At least I have some choice over how much fuel I use.

Never, never under estimate Government's ability to come up with more intriguing ways to extract $'s from each and every one of us!

Now, 'water runoff retention' - another great example of some bureaucrat's mentality at work to come up with another 'revenue stream' to help keep he and his pals employed!  They probably have some Office called the 'Water runoff retention' agency with a big budget and all the trimmings - hey, after all, they have to have enough staff to come around and 'inspect' your property's 'runoff retention' capabilities...WHAT A JOKE!

Mexray said:
Never, never under estimate Government's ability to come up with more intriguing ways to extract $'s from each and every one of us!

Now, 'water runoff retention' - another great example of some bureaucrat's mentality at work to come up with another 'revenue stream' to help keep he and his pals employed!  They probably have some Office called the 'Water runoff retention' agency with a big budget and all the trimmings - hey, after all, they have to have enough staff to come around and 'inspect' your property's 'runoff retention' capabilities...WHAT A JOKE!
Careful here... you may ruffle some around here that believe water runoff retention taxes are a productive way to redistribute to those that don't have something to have water run off.

That's good...I wonder if the local ducks in the town park are charged the 'water runoff detention' fee for what runs off their backs... ;D

Mexray said:

Wow, sounds like a lot of hate toward government employees!

Paul

I don't know that hate is the word but there is something that happens when people go to work for the G.  I have a frend that  WAS a good engineer till he went to work for NASA. After 6 months on the job, he started to forget engineering and started playing politics.  I saw this many times in the 30+ years I worked for an aerospace contractor. 

Poorly written specifications, contracts, ridiculous and unreal regulations, all there by people that at one time were fairly competent, they had to be to get through college, engineering, law, etc.  My son is experiencing the same thing with building regulators.  Ever heard of dividing by zero or imaginary numbers, they are enforcing building regulations that are impossible to meet because they require one or the other of these, sometimes both!!  As far as I know only Electrical Engineers and physicists regularly use imaginary numbers not Civil Engineers.

Just my experience and opinion.

Each of us is right, it is the other people that screw things up.

My anger/hate/animosity is toward the law/ordinance not to some individual. Now if someone wants to step up and take credit for the law, then I'm willing to be flexible. Just because you work for the government doesn't make you a  bad person. If you take abuse the situation, then you start to accrue responsibility, IMHO.

Back to the topic at hand. . .

In the late 60's, Purple Martin gasoline was 18.5 cents per gallon, and I got a 5 cent 'truck' discount making it 13.5 cents per gallon.

Wish I had purchased a lifetime supply back then.

I was just looking at our gas expense for this winter's trip and noticed that it wasn't the RV that was sucking up the most gas, it was the VW with all the running around that we do. So if gas got really ridicously priced (like $10/gallon), then we would probably cut back on the towed driving, maybe even get more exercise by riding the bikes more.

Wendy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom