5th Wheel GVWR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikewats

I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 QC, LB, 4X4 5.9TD with an AT. I went to Trailer Life as one of the host's reccommended. I found that the tow limits on my truck are 13,500#'s. I am looking at a Brookside 5th wheel that has a GVWR of 12,700#'s. I am not to savvy about all these weights. Will this combination work?

Thanks,
Mikewats

What is the axle ratio of your rig?

If it is the 3.73 you are right about the 13,500 lb tow rating.  Given that and allowing at least a 10% safety factor, you truck can pull a 12,150 lb GVWR trailer.  If you would tow in the mountain and Pacific west, make that 20% and 10,800 lbs. 

Yes sir you are correct 3.73 rear. It sound like the 12,700 GVWR is marginal for my truck.

Mikewats

I rarely disagree with Carl but with your diesel one ton truck I think you will be fine. In my experience the diesel truck will handle every ounce of its tow rating and there is no need to allow a 10-20% margin as I would recommend for a gas engine. We have a number of people towng large fivers with diesels (including Dodges) and they perform well at their max load rating. I did it myself when we had a fifth wheel and a Ford Powerstroke turbodiesel.

RV Roamer said:
I rarely disagree with Carl but with your diesel one ton truck I think you will be fine. In my experience the diesel truck will handle every ounce of its tow rating and there is no need to allow a 10-20% margin as I would recommend for a gas engine. We have a number of people towng large fivers with diesels (including Dodges) and they perform well at their max load rating. I did it myself when we had a fifth wheel and a Ford Powerstroke turbodiesel.

You may well be correct with a turbo-diesel.    However, a normally aspirated diesel should suffer the 3% per 1000 foot HP loss that a gasser does.  And then there are those 15 miles 6% downgrades.

And then there are those 15 miles 6% downgrades.

Been there, done that, with both diesel and gas.  An exhaust brake is a real plus with the diesel and is highly recommended, East or West, but strongly recommended in the West.  Just about mandatory towing equipment in my book.

An exhaust brake sounds like a necessary item. I am new to this forum and thank you all for the information

Also could someone recommend a fifth wheel hitch, I have read all kinds of information but very confused.

Thanks,
Mikewats

Mike,

I have a 2004 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Short Bed.

With a long bed, I'm not sure it really makes much difference what hitch.  My rule is generally to buy one made by somebody I've heard of, but the only hitch maker I know of is Pullright.  Probably Gary will provide some names.

Exhaust Brake - Don't leave home without it.  Expecially for the Dodge Cummins.  I would have gladly paid for my again numerous times.  It makes going back down as much fun as going up!

There was an issue with "factory approved" exhaust brakes for the automatic transmission back in '04.  I would suggest checking in with the Turbo Diesal Register. 

Joel

Reese, Drawtite, RBW, Pullrite, Putnam, ...  There really aren't any bad names to worry about.

Some of the manufacturers have multiple price ranges, e.g. standard hitches, slider hitches, hitches with air cushions, etc. A basic one wil work fine - its up to you whether you want to pay extra for more elegant versions.

Back
Top Bottom