5th wheel hitches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

champlon

Hi:

I am new to this forum. I would imagine the following topic has been run in the ground, but, I need some advice on 5th wheel hitches. We are getting a 2005 Keystone Challenger 29RKP. The dealer is putting in the hitch, or has priced it in I should say, for $750.00. We will be picking it up in a few weeks. We have a 2002 GMC 2500HD, 1-1/2 cab, full bed, 8.1Liter engine. My wife has osteoarthritis and fibramylasia (both sp?). We need to have the smoothest non jerking ride that is possible. Should we stay with the dealer hitch or go one of those air ride hitches? If air ride which one? I really need some sound advice here. Please help us out.

Thank You, ahead of time, for all your help.

Dean and Sherry and Shepley (tri color Sheltie)

Dean,

I'm not an expert on 5th wheel hitches, but we have others here who have pretty extensive knowledge on the subject.  Your message was moved to this topic area as there is a much higher probability that it will be seen by those "in the know" on the subject.  Good luck! :)

champlon said:
Hi:

I am new to this forum. I would imagine the following topic has been run in the ground, but, I need some advice on 5th wheel hitches. We are getting a 2005 Keystone Challenger 29RKP. The dealer is putting in the hitch, or has priced it in I should say, for $750.00. We will be picking it up in a few weeks. We have a 2002 GMC 2500HD, 1-1/2 cab, full bed, 8.1Liter engine. My wife has osteoarthritis and fibramylasia (both sp?). We need to have the smoothest non jerking ride that is possible. Should we stay with the dealer hitch or go one of those air ride hitches? If air ride which one? I really need some sound advice here. Please help us out.

Thank You, ahead of time, for all your help.

Dean and Sherry and Shepley (tri color Sheltie)

Hi,
Do what I am doing. Get a Trailair pin box instead of the air-ride hitch. Much less money. I haven't used it yet but everyone with whom I talked that did have one was very happy. Can't wait to try it out...expecting delivery of my new coach Friday. Anyhow, here is their website: http://www.trailair.com/

The Trailair add-on to the pin box that Bruce suggests should do fine, but ask the dealer what brand and model of hitch you are getting.  You want one that allows motion in two planes, i.e. "rocking" (fore & aft) and "tilting" (left & right).  The "Little Rocker" by RBW is one such, but Reese and other brands have them too.  That will eliminate some of th potential jerks.  The cost he figured in should not be an issue - the $750 will cover the better grade models & installation too.

Wrangler said:
Hello there,
Try the Mor-Ryde system for the pin box!

I have looked at the Mor-Ryde website. How does the Mor-Ryde compare with , say, Trail-air pin box?
Both in price and performance.

The Mor-Ryde system seems to be kind of free floating. If the rubber spring fails, what happens. I can see that if the trail-Air system failed you would just get the old bumpy ride back.
I like the idea of NOT having to put air into the pin box (which, I assume, must be done)
Any one have experience with either of these systems?

Dave Hill

The guy next to me in this campground has the Trail Air on his 36 foot Carriage.  He bought it to reduce the bucking action on his truck when the trailer goes over bumps and he is satisifed with it.  You only have to inflate the Trail Air once - if it doesn't hold pressure you have a defective unit.  The size of the air bladder and the air pressure is determined by the size/weight of the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom