5th wheel newbie weight/tow question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvan

I know these kinds of questions get asked a lot, but I just want reassurance that I?m good with my choice. I sold my class A and am buying a new, 2019 Coachman Chaparral 370 FL, the weight specs are as follows:

Dry Weight 11,863 lbs.
Payload Capacity 2,637 lbs.
GVWR 14,500 lbs.
Hitch Weight 2,211 lbs.

I?ve attached a picture of my sticker from my truck door jamb. It?s a 2016 F350 crew cab, 8? bed with the 5th wheel puck system from the factory. All seems to be good, I guess I just want the gurus Look it over and tell me if there are any issues. Thanks in advance, the opinions here are much appreciated!

Attachments

• 426053CE-5419-4829-B9A0-DE00B309C3FC.jpeg
    426053CE-5419-4829-B9A0-DE00B309C3FC.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 37
There should be a different sticker on your door jam that show your max cargo capacity. That will be needed in order to confirm if your good or not.

In my opinion you will be "tight" on your weight. That hitch weight you have there is probably "dry" hitch weight, not your loaded hitch weight. I would bet your hitch weight loaded will be closer to 2800 to 3000, which is gonna make you wish you had the DRW.

My current truck is getting up there in miles, so I was thinking use it for a year and trade for a DRW then. I won?t be towing a lot, for now I?m just going to tow the rig up to my property and leave it for the summer, then bring it back in October.

Dvan said:
My current truck is getting up there in miles, so I was thinking use it for a year and trade for a DRW then. I won?t be towing a lot, for now I?m just going to tow the rig up to my property and leave it for the summer, then bring it back in October.

You are pushing the limits on weight....But I would do as you stated take it to your property empty. You should be fine as long as you remember your at your upper limits.

Ford gives your F350 srw a 7000 rawr that will be carrying all the trailer hitch weight plus other gear in the bed. Your '16 Ford truck rear axle may weigh in the 3200-3400 lb range leaving 3500+ lb in the bed payload. You have the truck so get some separate  scaled front and rear axle weights....that way there  is no guessing how much load the truck can safely handle.

A 13-14k lb trailer is a good match for your truck. You don't need a DRW truck for that size trailer unless your just wanting one.

longhaul said:
Ford gives your F350 srw a 7000 rawr that will be carrying all the trailer hitch weight plus other gear in the bed. Your '16 Ford truck rear axle may weigh in the 3200-3400 lb range leaving 3500+ lb in the bed payload. You have the truck so get some separate  scaled front and rear axle weights....that way there  is no guessing how much load the truck can safely handle.

A 13-14k lb trailer is a good match for your truck. You don't need a DRW truck for that size trailer unless your just wanting one.

Truck is rated to 3106 lbs that the only number the poster needs to be concerned with throwing out axle rating doesnt help it just confuses people Ford put that placard there for a reason and i suggest it was a damn good one

steveblonde said:
Truck is rated to 3106 lbs that the only number the poster needs to be concerned with throwing out axle rating doesnt help it just confuses people Ford put that placard there for a reason and i suggest it was a damn good one

Yep....I agree.

According to Ford Trucks website and technical specifications for the 2016 F350 SRW. If the max GVWR is 11500lb, then the payload on the longbed is 3610 lb. if you have the crewcab. It goes higher if you have either the Supercab or regular cab. It should be good for 15700lb 5th wheel or gooseneck towing. This assumes it is the diesel version.

I'm guessing that trailer is going to have an actual pin weight around 2900-3000 lbs. Coupled with the passengers, hitch and gear in the truck, it is really pushing that 3106 payload. The truck is robust, though, so its probably not going to break the first time you drive it with the trailer.

3000 pin weight plus 200 pounds for hitch, plus full tank of fuel, plus bodies, plus what ever junk you might add to the truck.  I think your going to be way closer to weight limits than you might like.  Personally I think that is a dually trailer.

TonyL said:
According to Ford Trucks website and technical specifications for the 2016 F350 SRW. If the max GVWR is 11500lb, then the payload on the longbed is 3610 lb. if you have the crewcab. It goes higher if you have either the Supercab or regular cab. It should be good for 15700lb 5th wheel or gooseneck towing. This assumes it is the diesel version.
  you are assuming that its a base model special order with no options when you say it has a 3610 lb payload (thats the MAX payload available for that model of truck)a loaded plattinum in that same spec sheet will have a payload of 800 lbs less than that - thats a big difference

I'm glad that he is at least paying attention and is willing to listen to facts. At least he's not trying to do it with a 3/4 ton and assuming "my truck can pull anything".  8)

Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like I?m pushing the limit somewhat but still ?ok?,  I think I will do as I mentioned, tow it up to my place and really pay attention to that first trip, maybe get a dually soon, my last truck was a dually, and I got rid of it because I was rarely ever towing anything real heavy!

TonyL said:
Steve saved me some typing.  That advertising hype applies to a XL trim with NO other options.  The OP probably has a very nice Platnum trim truck, and the reported Payload is correct for HIS truck.

Towing it to the property when relatively empty should be well within specs.  For longer trips, loaded for the duration with more passengers and cargo can easily push you over the payload, so be aware!  Note also that it does not self destruct if you are 100# over GVWR.  Now if you are 1000# overweight, that is an entirely different story!

I have a F350 SRW with 3500# payload and a 15,000# GVWR  FW.  I figure 3,000# pin, 40# Andersen hitch, 350# passengers, which leaves 60# for my granddaughter and car seat.  In actuality (I have not had it scaled) I suspect the FW is closer to 13,500#, leaving about 300# under weight.  It tows like a dream!

Update: firstly, the new 5th wheel is sooo nice, wife & I just love it. We got it up to our place at 10,000 feet, and it towed like a dream, this truck was literally built for this sort of thing. It only squatted about 2?, and of course plenty of power up the pass, I never doubted that, but using the exhaust brake in conjunction with tow/haul, I barely had to brake at all coming down the other side, a few taps of the brake and the truck did the rest. Other than the fact that it?s 41? long, it was actually very easy to pull, my mind is at ease about a lot of things now. Again, thank you all for your input, it?s invaluable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom