5th Wheel wall construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindesu

We will be buying an new fifth wheel within the next couple of years. Our 2008 Palomino Sabre started delaminating last year. Its not terrible yet, but we want to avoid the problem in our next purchase if possible.  We live in Oklahoma, so summers are hot! I am sure this contributed to the delamination. The different RV manufacturers are quick to point out the strengths and benefits of their own frame and wall construction. For example, Cedar Creek reps talk about not using a laminated product, theirs being a single pour construction. Others claimed "improved" though still laminated walls. Anyone have a definitive answer on what is the best construction currently?  How about the graphics? We have stripped them off our current rig and are in the process of sanding the oxidation off and putting on some new graphics.

As far as I know whatever you buy can delaminate. Water causes it. The best thing is to avoid leaks that produce delamination. Caulking the joints and other maintenance can help avoid water coming in.  Some companies like Coachmen claim that some their products are not victims of delamination because they use Azdel instead of luan but I have no proof that this is the case. 

I'm sure others here will give their opinions.

I don't know about "single pour" - the cedar Creek walls are fiberglass gelcoat panels bonded to an aluminum frame. It's not in any sense a "poured" wall. But it is good solid construction, and the only "delamination" would be if the adhesive fails and allows the skin to break loose. That can happen, but is probably less vulnerable than a sidewall that has a skin made by laminating a skin to luan plywood before bonding to the sidewall frame.

Check out the construction in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdmd-Pqs84

Delam almost always comes from water intrusion (leaks) that is allowed to continue for some time. Leaks will happen in any RV - the flexing of road travel makes that inevitable. A wise owner keeps an eye out and proactively checks and caulks the roof seams, window frames and other edge openings.

Thanks for correcting me. The term 'single pour' was my own based upon a youtube video I saw about the Cedar Creek wall construction. They were making the case that theirs could not delaminate because it was a solid piece of fiberglass/gelcoat.  i don't understand everything they said and don't know how to evaluate the claims they make. i would be all for eliminating the risk in the future, but wear and tear for any rig will happen given enough time. I know we had worked hard to keep our unit in good shape, but some delam is starting to occur anyway.  Does anyone have enough experience with regard to the Cedar Creek wall construction to evaluate these claims for accuracy or is this spin, to make the sale?

It's not the gel coat that comes loose, it's the bond between the backing panel the gel coat is applied and whatever is supporting that backing that gives way.

Gel Coat is just another name for a coating of clear paint over the colored paint so the colors don't fade as easily as if the colored paint was exposed to the elements.

The backing panel may be glued to the framing in studded walls like the Cedar Creek uses or to the foam insulation panel used in vacuum bonded walls, either way it's the adhesive between the backing panel and whatever it's attached to coming unglued that causes deamination.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom