6 New Tires, or 7?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

These originals; they look like new; are GY RV 670s, 245/70 R19.5, 6 1/2 years old. Not cheap to replace.  :( 

I have a spare. I figure it is probably the worst of the lot, never having been on the road. For that matter, I haven't even dusted it off. It is underneath, in the rear. Hate to spend any money to replace it, as I have a hunch it will just continue to gather dust. On the other hand, if I ever need it, how old will it be then? Will it make it, to the next stop? Might as well not have it, at all? Or, should I pay 20% more on an already inflated expense, and replace it, buying 7 tires?  :-\ 

I can't be the only one who ever thought this over. ??  :-\ 

Ray D  :(

I am in the same boat...bought my yoda last November in Wisconsin and drove it home 950 miles to PA with no problems....checked the tire date code and found out the tires are 18 years old!!...NO sidewall cracking at all, held pressure all winter!....I guess they used better rubber back then!...they are dunlops and made in japan....I know they need replacing and will probably go for 7....the good thing is the yoda takes a 185r14 tire that I can get for about $100 each.

Ray,
I have pondered this same question. Last fall I replaced my set of skins with new Goodyear tires. I am going to make a 7,999 mile trip this summer and thought about the seventh tire.
Research from Good Sam and Coach-Net seemed identical. They would change a flat or direct you or tow you to a place to get a new tire. Since I monitor the tires pressure and temperature. I decided to keep the cash and pay if required. I also do not think I could handle that tire alone ( mounted and inflated its a few hundred pounds I think) let alone retrieve it from under the motorhome.
Also I will be in the Continent US and feel I will be close to a truck stop or repair facility.
If we make a Alaska trip in 2013 I think I will add a spare to the bed of the toad.
Hope we get more view points.
Jim

That's an unanswerable question.  An old tire may work fine, or it may blow the second weight is put on it. Or anywhere in between. Between 7 and 10 years of age, the likelihood of catastrophic failure increases dramatically, but whether any tire will actually fail is a crap-shoot.  Michelin says your chances are reasonable up to about 10 years, but they aren't the ones sitting at the roadside waiting for the road service to come.

I guess you could keep one of the old ones as a  spare for another three years.

When we replaced ours, we just did 6 and saved the best old one for a spare figuring all we expected out of it was to get us to the nearest shop. But I agree with Gary, even that is a crap-shoot. We had a blow out last year before we replaced tires and limped to the tire shop at 25mph on a spare with a bubble in the sidewall the size of a grapefruit. We both breathed a sigh of relief when we pulled into Les Schwabb.

Water Dog said:
When we replaced ours, we just did 6 and saved the best old one for a spare figuring all we expected out of it was to get us to the nearest shop.
That is what I do...Except I only need 4 tires (tandem not a triple axles on my trailers)

Saving the best as a spare is a very common practice,,, Now, so long as you know that this tire is over age, and may fail quickly (Get ye to a tire shop FAST) I see nothing wrong with it.

On the plus side, if the spare is stored in the shadow underneath the motorhome, you won't have as much UV light hitting it and degrading the rubber.  Ozone may be another matter.

Thanks for the responses. Wish I could say you all helped me make up my mind. Ain't made it up, yet.  :-\ 

On the plus side, if the spare is stored in the shadow underneath the motorhome, you won't have as much UV light hitting it and degrading the rubber.
Yes, I can appreciate that. If I understand prior discussions, driving on the tire helps keep the  preservatives circulating through the rubber. My spare has been sleeping in its bed since it first got there. Never been on the road. I'm not sure it's not dead.

Ray D  :-\

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom