62 newbie looking to see the US solo with two dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Traveling from Florida to the snowbelt you'll have to time it during the warmer months. I have two large 70lb dogs (brothers) and live rural within the Rockies in a manufactured home. It's Spring time and so the critters were out in force including the elk herds. Both dogs found a skunk last night in our yard. They both got sprayed and stink.

It's still on the borderline too cold for on the road RV traveling around here being down to 9F this morning without being winterized. Pretty normal weather in early Spring. It's different if you're parked and hooked up to both electrical and water.

Now back to the dogs. They're in my garage with a space heater on. Can't bring them inside until I mix peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap with warm water. Wash them both with it and rinse with the garden hose while tied to a tree. Got to wait today until higher yet still freezing temperatures so that I can use the garden hose to rinse and dry. They won't like it. Neither do I.

Jennifer thinks a 24' is too small so I started thinking what I would take with me given my lifestyle now and my work and play needs.
I live in t-shirts and shorts, work remotely on a computer, like to bike, hike, watch tv, and read (all digitally). I started this list:
10 t shirts
10- shorts
2 sweat pants
2 sweaters
1 leather jacket
1 hoodie
2 jeans
5 polo shorts
5 hawaiian shirts
2 dress shorts
1 suit
2 weeks underwear
2 towels
guitar
laptop
28" monitor with keyboard and mouse
Samsung Tablet
Bike (I would add a trailer hitch rack)
1 pot, 1 fry pan; 2 cups (use the same drink cup and coffee mug everyday at home, 4 plastic plates, silver wear)
basic kitchen stuff spices, alum foil, saran wrap, plastic tubs
first aid kit and medical stuff
usb noise machine
bathroom stuff (shampoo, body wash, etc.)
blankets, pillows and sheets
Dog sup[plies

I am a pretty simple person. I eat the same thing everyday for breakfast (one atkins bar and coffee); mostly the same at lunch (sandwich and pistachio nuts) and I will cook my dinner. So I do not need a lot of food to be happy.

I think that will all easily fit in a 24' Am I fooling myself?

There are many very nice class C's out there that would fit the needs of mjposner. Most single women travelers prefer a C over an A.

MJ, before your RV rental trial run around Florida, check out the following link as a rental option; RVshare RV Rentals - Direct from Local Owners | #1 RV Rental Site. Many first-time RV'ers that do the same usually find themselves using Cruise America as their rental choice. From my experience riding in CA rentals several times when my SIL rented various size C's to join us on adventures, they are low-end stripper models that may not give you a good impression of what's available to you. There are many MFG. of class C's much much better than the Four Winds (Thor MFG) from Cruise. RV Share is sort of like the Air BNB of RV rentals. You rent directly from the RV owners themselves. This will give you the option of searching out different models from class C's to the small class A's you are interested in too.

As far as traveling with your pooches, I think you answered your own question as far as how will they do during your travels. If they do not suffer separation anxiety now while you are away from home, they probably won't while on the road. I'm sure you are already aware that is one of the great parts of having two dogs, they have each other during your absence. They should be safe and sound in your rig. The biggest concern would be if they barked excessively while you're out, otherwise, they should be safe and sound especially if camped in a campground.

I would not worry about 30A electrical service vs 50A. Yes, 50 is better but if you chose an RV under 30 feet it will probably only have i rooftop AC. That is usually one of the main determining factors of 30 or 50-amp service. Also, knowing where you are traveling and at what time of the year is going to be a better barometer of temps and will the dogs be all right while you are out. Simple, if it's a warm day and going to get warmer, set the AC for a comfortable but not ridiculous temp. Same with heat, you can either have a small electric space heater on a counter where the dogs won't tip it over, or again set the thermostat to a moderate temp should the temp drop. There is no need for a very expensive system that would start your generator to operate and temperature control devices. Most if not all class C's do not have these systems built in, and only the more expensive larger class A's will have them.

I think you would get much more range of use with a small 250cc or so motorcycle to run around with than an E-Bike. However, camping friends of ours spend 2-3 months in FL and SC during the winter and their only means of getting around are their E-Bikes. When they want to do something more adventurous they Uber or rent a car.

Starlink is expensive, there may be other less expensive options out there that will work for you. Ask the forum about those, I'm sure you'll get a lot of different ideas.

Can't wait to hear about your decision and how you make out on your trial trips in Fl. Good Luck.

1679931208292.png

To Mj, when you rent for your trial run check out

Attachments

• 1679931208250.png
    1679931208250.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1679931208271.png
    1679931208271.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
You missed the most important reason for my post...

First people who travel several months and especially live full time in a motorhome gen. are minimalist by necessity due to that pesky cargo carrying capacity limit. Making a list is great a start. Might want to add some jeans, winter coat, shoes & tools +++.

Since the reason for my post failed I’ll bluntly say you need to educate yourself. Beyond the floorplan and length you need to know if your chosen RV will comfortably support you full time.

You need to understand:

Weights (GCWR.GVWR, UVW ,OCCC, weight of water). Min. how to calculate cargo carrying capacity.​
Basic understanding of electrical system (30A vs 50A, cranking battery vs house batteries, shore power, generator, CONvert, INverter, 12V vs 120V).​
Are the size of tanks Adequate (fuel, fresh water, black, gray).​
Desire Leveling jacks? etc.​

I did not nor should anyone attempt to tell you what length or floorplan works for you. All anyone can/should do is question things that might be a concern due to their experience. It is up to you to evaluate/investigate concerns. You are spending the money and will live with what you purchase.

I do still suspect the Coachmen Freelander 22XG at 24' 3" or an Axis 24.4 at 25'-8" do not have sufficient cargo carrying capacity.

Jennifer

Coachmen Freelander 22XG can carry 3,059 pounds. It holds 41 gallons of freshwater, so that should last me at least 5-7 days w/o refill ( I shower quickly) and will keep an 2 gallons of water in fridge.
The Axis maybe insufficient cargo wise, its capacity was not easily found but could be as little as 1,400.
I will be leaving my personal stuff in storage when I sell my house, so I will not be one of those people taking "all my stuff" with me.
I agree with all of your thoughts and if I decide to buy, I will definitely have to consider those issues.

P.S. I did include jeans, winter coat and shoes but will add tools to supply list.

acttemp_1280x720.jpg

41 gallons of water is all good unheated until it's too cold out. Current temperature map.

Last edited:
That's where planning comes in. If all goes well and I hit the road in August/September, I will go north through October and then head back east through the south in late October November.

That's where planning comes in. If all goes well and I hit the road in August/September, I will go north through October and then head back east through the south in late October November.

Here's November 4th, 2022 at our home in Mesa, Colorado. Fall is winter in the snowbelt.
Garden View_live_1667576815787.jpg

Chain season is September 1st through May 31st in the High Country of Colorado.

Your route over Wolf Creek Pass in late September winter conditions...

2014-09-30-1.jpg

"That's right, it's chain season on Interstate 70 again. Beginning Wednesday, Sept. 1, all recreational and commercial vehicles must carry chains or alternate traction devices when traveling between Morrison and Dotsero in Colorado's high country until May 31"

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
wanted to drive across the US on a long road trip and my opportunity to do so has finally opened up after this May. I will be selling my house, and free to travel as I work remotely.
I am confused!

My assumption is you were planning to be full time since you are selling your house.

But your trip map suggest you will try to see the country in 3+ months?
Jennifer

No, If all goes well after I sell the house, I will take a multi-month drive from Florida to Alaska and everywhere in between. Wasn't planning on living full time at all.

Back
Top Bottom