95 Coachman Santara class A , shore power is feeding back to genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

homek

I have the above rig with a 7000 onan on board. I recently purchased this vehicle and like an idiot just had the guy start the gen and it ran like a top, but I didn't check if it was putting out power, which as I know now it is not. The previous owner stated that he did replace the automatic transfer switch, which I believe resides directly on the back of the breaker box as near as I can figure. I was trying to check the TS out and noticed that every time I would plug the shore power in the bottom breaker on my gen would kick out and if shore power was on and I clicked the breaker on it would buzz like heck. I then checked the hot wire on the gen when shore power was on and I was getting 120 ac. I am wondering if that guy wired that TS wrong. I am also wondering if he burnt up my gen since I don't seem to be getting any juice out of it at the junction box.

Hmmm. Only one of the breakers trips? Wonder if the other is wired direct to the rear a/c then? It probably would be if it is a 30A shore power rig.
Yes, I would open up the transfer switch and check it out. It could be miswired or defective.  Some switches default to genset operation and the presence of shore power pulls the relay to the shore side. In others, the presence of 120 VAC from the genset pulls the relay into genset position, usually after a delay that lets the genset stabilize and have full power available. I don't know if one method is better than the other, but obviossly it is not OK to have both genset and shore connected to the RVs load center at the same time. Don't know what that might do to the genset electrically, though. I guess you may be able to tell us after you dig in a bit further...

Yeah Roemer, I am pretty genset illiterate, so, I don't know what kind of damage could have been done to the gen by the power feeding into it. it seems as though the breaker is protecting it, but on the other hand I'm not getting voltage out of the gen when it is running. I am kind of wondering if anyone has any diagnostic steps to take in order to test to see if the gen is ok. At least I would have a starting point and then I could move backward from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom