96 damon intruder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in that case probably 5W30 oil and Dextron ATF for your 4L80E transmission, be aware some oil consumption on that engine is normal up to about a quart every 1,500 miles

in that case probably 5W30 oil and Dextron ATF for your 4L80E transmission, be aware some oil consumption on that engine is normal up to about a quart every 1,500 miles
I've owned 4 Motorhomes with the 454 engine and NONE of them used any oil in over 3000 mile changes. Where did YOU get that information? My currant coach has over 70,000 on it and it will go more than 3,000 miles and just be down a smidgen. I use Mobil 5000 dino oil in it, and change it yearly or 3000.

It was GM's widely state position regarding the big block family of engines which included the 7.4L that oil use of up to 1 quart of oil per 100 gallons of gasoline was considered normal. After a quick google search I find dozens of places where this is asserted, though I did not spot an official link so I am not posting them.

As a former long time GM service tech, I'll say that when doing oil consumption tests on the 454's, a quart in 1500 miles was the spec we used. Anything over that and warranty would cover an overhaul(assuming coach was within time/mileage constraints).
A quart per 100 gallons seems excess. At 5.5 mpg, my '88 P30 coach would pump about 275 gallons through the engine in 1500 miles. It really used about a 1/2 quart in that distance.

Back
Top Bottom