A pet lovers quandary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
newfurrows said:
Other day my Tibby (Tibetian Spaniel + 1000 other breeds) ate a big hole in one of my seat cushions.  It didn't take me long to take him off the short list of what to have for supper.  I love him after all and what is a slightly uneven seat cushion stacked up against that?  I probably left him in the motorhome a little (lot?) too long and he got bored.  My fault not his!!

Thanks for the thoughts.  It was weird just now walking into the house after work without her at the door to greet me.  She wasn't there expecting her morning belly rub.  Something I'm going to have to get use to.  And I also have been left "gifts" on the floor around the house every now and then when the DW forgot to let out before bedtime and the son had his usual brain fart.  That was always a treat!

Something came to mind during a PM with eliallen I thought I would pass on to everyone.  Just in case any of you are unaware. 
If you find yourself in the same situation we just went through, check with your vet about donating leftover medications and food.  I know this may not apply while on the road.  But it might not be a bad question to ask should the unthinkable happen during a trip.  It can't hurt to ask.  We have been with our local vet for many years and have a file about the size of a small phone book.  He knows us well and had no problem taking back unused meds and food.  There are those who have fallen on hard times and are having trouble taking care of their pets.  The donations help a great deal.  Don't throw them away when maybe someone can use them under the vets care.

Just a thought.

denmarc said:
We are not far from your way of thinking, Seajay.  All of the pets we have lost over the years have been cremated.  We are starting to wonder if the mantel above the fireplace can withstand the weight!  One (that one was half Great Dane and half Doberman)  we thought would take bricks off the wall!  His ashes are in a special place.  His urn is bulging with the cover taped on just in case of a "fly by".

I do admire your dedication to your family.  And I do mean the "whole" family.  And it does work for us.  The problem is I am not sure that anywhere in MI can a 5 gallon pail of ashes be dumped where we request?  We got a pretty good headstart on the pail now and by the time the wife and I add to it, there will probably be some law that prohibits the wish.  Story of my life.

Here is a simple resolution to your problem. 
DO NOT TELL THE CEMETARY THAT THERE ARE ANIMAL ASHES IN THE URN.  Ashes are ashes and no one need know the true story, except your loved ones.
If they ask about the ''size of the urn'' just say that you and your wife were very LARGE PEOPLE.  If they say anything else just call the ACLU and the problem will be resolved by them. 
We buried Willas husbands ashes with the ashes of his favorite Lab ''Blackie'', we just did not mention ''Blackie''...........
This fine advise will cost you ten cents and you can pay me the next time you see me .....cj

I'll keep that in mind Seajay!  A dime is in the mail.  ;)

I ended up sprucing up the yard one more time with this mild weather we have been having in MI.  One more clean-up and putting the Summer yard implements in the shed for the Winter.  Second time doing this.  In doing so, I thought how nice it was not having to tiptoe around the backyard looking for "land mines" with bucket in one hand and shovel in the other.  And for the first time in months, not finding the hidden mine with the sole of my tennis shoe while pushing the mower!  :mad:

We can't stand it.  Already have a couple of applications into a couple of the local rescues pertaining to some GSD's posted on their sites.  We have a hole in our hearts that needs filling.  And somehow that is far outweighing the bitching we both did cleaning up hair, puke, other things I won't mention here, etc...

You all understand.

denmarc said:
We can't stand it.  Already have a couple of applications into a couple of the local rescues pertaining to some GSD's posted on their sites.  We have a hole in our hearts that needs filling.  And somehow that is far outweighing the bitching we both did cleaning up hair, puke, other things I won't mention here, etc...

You all understand.

I understand exactly, especially the part about the heart hole. Mike would have lasted longer, I lasted a week. Spent a lot of time on petfinder.com :)

Wendy

I had a long-haired Dachshund for 16 years.  She could fit in my hand when I got her.  I loved her and treated her like a baby.  She finally went blind, deaf, and had lost all control of her bodily functions.  When I took her to the vet for her annual shots, the vet said to hold off on the shots and consider her quality of life.  He reminded me that I had given her 16 years of love and she had given me 16 years of love, but her quality of life was not good.  It broke my heart and it took me two months to come to the decision.  I had her cremated and I still carry her around in a beautiful cedar box.  The hurt and sadness never goes away and I have tears in my eyes as I write this.  She may be gone forever, but I still miss her like it was yesterday!!!!

Mark,

So very sorry Shasta is not doing well. We just said goodbye to our beloved albeit ancient yellow labrador. He was with us from before we married and the house is not the same without him.

May you have good times together before the inevitable end you mention.

Stella

Last update, then life goes on...

Well, after hearing back from all the rescue applications we submitted, there were a few furkids that needed help.  We had to weed it down a bit.  One reply was a BEAUTIFUL GSD!  But, this dog was a runner.  Not an option owning open property in which a dog can run without restraint.  We almost hated turning this one down.  But we felt it was the thing to do.  If we lost the dog due to not enough time to work with it, we would feel terrible.  Not an option.

We met another rescue last Friday.  Such a petite dog.  Underweight, to say the least.  We got nothing but good reviews about this rescue and the owner admitted that a rescue was not the place to fatten a dog up.  We understood.  This German Shepard is built like a beanpole.  She was transfered from another rescue that had her available with no interest for a month. Taken in as a stray.  You guessed it.  We came home with her.

Her name is Karma.  She has a visit scheduled with our regular vet for a checkup today.  Just to see how she is doing and some bloodwork to make sure.  We gotta know.

We now have Shasta's ashes placed right along side the rest of our pets from over the years.  There she will be remembered, as the rest of them.

Many thanks of all the thoughts and well wishes.  So far, we feel we on on our way to giving another a good home and a family life.  A life where she doesn't feel like it's only temporary and she will be passed on to someone else.  She is home now.

Karma's a lucky girl. Enjoy her company and your memories of the other hairy kids. I love happy rescue stories. Ours is riding in the back seat right now.

Wendy

Laying next to me is resuce Lucy- a Dalmatian who thinks she is a cat. At my feet is Poppy Sue, our traveling Golden rescue. On our mantle are the ashes of our beloved rescues who have enriched our lives over the years, most recently placed is Butch who passed three weeks ago.

I am so happy for Karma!  Pix please?

Stella said:
Laying next to me is rescue Lucy- a Dalmatian who thinks she is a cat. At my feet is Poppy Sue, our traveling Golden rescue. On our mantle are the ashes of our beloved rescues who have enriched our lives over the years, most recently placed is Butch who passed three weeks ago.

I am so happy for Karma!  Pix please?

So sorry to hear about Butch.  I don't think I have to tell you how it feels.  You already know.  We are considering ourselves so lucky so far with our choice in bringing Karma home.  She is a sweetheart.  We did find out she is maybe a year or two older than we were told by the rescue, but we don't care.  She has already gained 5 lbs. just by a regular diet.  She had another visit today with our vet due to a little problem we didn't think was quite right due to her being spayed by the rescue's vet.  We were right.  She has developed an infection from her internal stitches and now on an antibiotic.  Should be no big deal.  She has settled down in her new home and is happy.  She loves her new bed and just loves to go for "walkies" with the DW daily.  Usually about 3-4 miles a day while the nice weather holds out here in MI. 

We're blessed.  Karma came upon us at the right time.  And I would love to post a pic!  I tried to post pics on previous theads to no avail.  Pic file was too big.  I haven't figured it out and pretty much quit trying.  Maybe with some help from someone I could let you all see Shasta and Karma.  I'm willing to try.

Marc, open up the program you use to view pictures. They are all a bit different but when you have a picture open then look up top for "tools" or "adjust", something to that nature. Than when the drop down box opens look for "resize". It will usually open another box displaying current height and width, adjust them to app. 600 x 800 and you should be fine. That will make the file small enough to post here.
Or you can just email/pm me the pic. I'm happy to resize it and send it back.

Thanks Lou, didn't know that. He should be able to use the email link though correct?

LOL... Yah, he will, but he won't be able to attach a photo there either.  He can, however, send you a PM or E-mail and request an exchange of e-mail addresses to get the photo to you.  Nothing is ever as easy at it first appears.

Thanks RoadWorker for the link.  That is a neat idea and and something to think about.

Not a big deal about the pics.  The important thing is Karma is here with us.  A home she is not acustom to.  A permanent home.  That is all we really cared about.

Speaking of rescue pets adapting to new homes, Ringo has been with me now for almost two years.

He informs me that his contract is coming up for renewal.  I've never heard of such a thing nor have I had to negotiate anything like that before.

He keeps muttering something about softer pillows, larger couches, etc...

Any advice is welcome :-\

Attachments

• 100_1153 (Medium).JPG
    100_1153 (Medium).JPG
    119 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom