A question about slide out seals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobandpamlemay

Hi Group: I need some expert help because I'm not getting it from General RV in the Chicago area. I have a 2009 Komfort 5er and the seal on on the slides that presses up against the trailer body when the slide is opon is destroyed. I'm not talking about the rubber wiper but rather what appears to be an open cell foam seal designed to keep cold and bugs out. Mine is all crushed and sometimes allows water leaks in bad storms.
I contacted General RV, a supposed Komfort dealer, and it seemed like I was speaking a foreign language to them. They promised to contact Thor, the manufacturer, but they weren't too confident.
Is the seal on my 5er unique? What is on other 5ers? I've never really looked at other units.
If all else fails, any ideas on where I can buy about 2 inch thick, 3 inches wide foam in bulk.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

I would contact the manufacturer directly, not for warranty unless it is valid, but for the exact type of foam and redo it myself and be assured that it was done correctly....

But that is me.....

Jim

I'm not familiar with your mk/mdl but I would think that there are a ton of different generic W/Strips that would work... like this one maybe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Door-Trunk-Weatherstrip-Seal-10x9-25mm-/271172083555?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f231d9f63&vxp=mtr

This is a good adhesive:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08001-Yellow-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B000HTNNDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369152810&sr=8-1&keywords=3M+8001
It also comes in black but the black isn't as strong:
http://www.amazon.com/CRL-Black-3MTM-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B006OCSB5Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1369152835&sr=1-5&keywords=3m+8011

Do a google search for "Weatherstrip" there are a million varieties. You may even find one that is better than the factory one.

If you are adhering to a flat surface, there are many w/s that have adhesive backing. If you choose one of those, be sure that your mating surface is VERY clean (acetone works well). In some cases, it may be best to sand the surface with 100G aluminum oxide sand paper, the apply a thin coat of primer. "1-2-3 Primer" works well on aluminum.

Don't know if I can help any due to the results of my experience, but here goes...

My slide seal went south.  I bought a replacement from the local Jayco dealer.  Expensive!  Only available in one length and you cut what you need.  The actual job of removing the old and installing the new was quite simple.  I spent a bit more time cleaning things up, but I believe the job was complete inside a couple of hours.  Problem solved.

denmarc said:
Don't know if I can help any due to the results of my experience, but here goes...

My slide seal went south.  I bought a replacement from the local Jayco dealer.  Expensive!  Only available in one length and you cut what you need.  The actual job of removing the old and installing the new was quite simple.  I spent a bit more time cleaning things up, but I believe the job was complete inside a couple of hours.  Problem solved.

Not to hijack but it nice to hear the Jayco line is going to be easy.  8)

In spite of the fact that I've talked to Komfort and ultimately to Sullivan RV in Indiana, I'm still trying to find the correct seal. Thanks for the info of Jayco though. I'm still looking.

Bob

I had a similar experience with ALFA after they went out of  business. I ordered mine from Alfateers (who are a trailer repair outfit in CA with many former Alfa employees.) and the material came in two long pieces which I had to cut to lengths required. Since Alfa went out of business several users have identified these manufacturers as other possible suppliers.

http://www.trimlok.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=44

From another Alfa owner: Look up a vendor's store on ebay called rv-trader (Not sure this one is current though!!)

Most of these products are not unique to any given RV manufacturer, the trick is to find out WHO supplied them, not always easy!!

Thanks everyone. Sullivan RV did send me a picture of what they had but it's not quite right. I sent them a pic of what I have and we'll see where we go. If not, I'll try your resources.
Have a Great Memorial Day weekend. God Bless our Armed Forces.

Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom