ABS Brakes Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsalhus

Has anyone ever heard of disconnecting the ABS brakes on a motorhome?  Why would someone do that and what are the advantages/disadvantages/consequences of doing that?

The only reason I can think of for disconnecting woudl be systems failure, very rare, and that just long enough to get to a repair facility.

That said. There are a lot of folks out there who think they are better than the ABS controller. IN some cases they get a chance to prove who's better (them or the computer) and trust me. It's the computer

There is no advantage whatsoever, though some folks will claim they can brake better than the ABS system.  It ain't so, though some expereinced drivers can probably do as well.

Disadvantages:  If you should ever be involved in an acident, you open yourself to charges that you intentionaly defeated a safey feature on your vehicle.  Whether it is relevent or not, it surely muddies the waters and not in your favor either.

ABS is one of those technology things that actualy works well and is unobtrusive besides. Doesn't make you do anything unnatural and doesn't affect anything about your normal driving. It's just there when you need it. 

Hey Roamer, How come we are agreeing all the time all of a sudden?  You know, I never thought of the liability issues.  I just know two things about ABS

1: There is a slight chance on some surfaces that you can stop safely faster with out it (KEY WORD SLIGHT)

2: There is a far far far greater chance that you will stop safely on ALL surfaces with it

3: If you attempt 1: odds are your rig may get tired of what you are doing and roll over to take a nap (The testing was done with cars, cars are less likely to roll over to take a nap, and even in the demonstrations I watched, the car ALMOST rolled)

and you are very right, If someone hits my wife's car and I find out they defeated some safety device on their car which might have prevented the accident.... They are going to be amazed at the number of ZEROS on the law suit.

One of the few problems with ABS is that people don't know how to use it. In a near-zero grip situation or panic stop, the ABS will pulse the brakes rapidly for maximum adhesion without locking the wheels. When it's doing this, there will be a lot of noise and pulsation of the brake pedal which many people think is a malfunction when, in fact, it's doing exactly what it is supposed to do; hence, they back off the brake pedal and lose stopping power. It would be wise for anyone with ABS to find a nice large, slippery (wet) parking lot, travel at 20-30 mph, and step hard on the brakes to get the feel of it. Steer both left and right while doing so to convince yourself that you can indeed still steer the vehicle.

Karl, though I have not done that with my Class A.  it has always been my practice to do that early on one of the first snowfalls with every new car I've owned.  Intentionally put it into a skid (in a place where it's safe to do so I should STRESS) and recover, Panic stop, that kind of thing, all on nice slippery and EMPTY parking lot.  That way when the going gets well.... interesting....  I know how to keep going instead of having to stop and call a tow truck to tow in the mortal remains.

With the motor home I've driven in that kind of snow just two times... The first time was going up to Salt Lake and when the road got that bad I found a place to park for the night... Next morning after the snow plows and done their thing i continued to Salt Lake.

Second time was in Salt Lake when I got to Motosat's parking lot.  And the lot was empty,  And I was doing ... Well, let's just say that if I'd have lost it and started sliding toward you you would not have had to RUN to avoid me.  A slow walk would have done nicely

(Doing about 2 mph in the lot)  By the time I got my antenna fixed (T-2 Automotion) the lot had melted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom