AC shore power works but 12 volt doesn't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrvvv

Good day all,

I have a 1991 Kit Sun Chaser 16' trailer.  I've had it for a year and had no issues until now.  When camping we always just used the batteries.  The last trip of the year we were on electrical hookups.  A month or so later I went into the trailer and the lights wouldn't go on.  I assumed my batteries were dead.  Jump ahead to the spring.  I just bought two new six volt batteries.  They are hooked up in series to run my 12 volt system.  I now do not have any 12 volt in the trailer.  No lights will go on and the battery status gauge shows nothing. 

With this bit of information can anyone offer some advice as to what is going on?  No fuses are blown that I can see. 

Thanks!

Anthony

There is most likely a DC circuit breaker or large fuse between the battery positive and the converter/charger.  It may be tripped.

You may also have blown a fuse on the converter feeding the batteries and the distribution panel.

Also, just for grins, look closely around the battery area and make sure you haven't failed to reattach a small wire along with the positive cable.

If I have power to the lights when I'm plugged in does that mean that my short or blown fuse is before the converter?  If so that makes chasing it a lot easier.

thanks

rrvvv said:
If I have power to the lights when I'm plugged in does that mean that my short or blown fuse is before the converter?  If so that makes chasing it a lot easier.

thanks

NO, just the reverse.  It means the open circuit (blown fuse) is between the converter output and the batteries.  The converter is evidently producing 12v to your distribution panel, when plugged in, to feed the lights and other things, but is not reaching the batteries.

Your system most likely uses that same path to get 12v back out of the batteries to the panel, so when you find the one problem you'll find the other.

You converter is probably part of your DC distribution (FUSE) panel.  Look for some identification type and model numbers of these panels, and someone here will be able to assist you.

rrvvv said:

thanks

It is probably the one on the line near the batteries - usually on the positive lead and mine is a hard to find 40 amp. If you have 12 v power when plugged in you are running off of the converter so all is well up to that point, the juice is not able to come from the batteries. So it is either a fuse or a break in the circuit somewhere.

I would also suspect that you converter will not be charging your batteries.

Good Luck,

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FmStars
Back
Top Bottom