actual drive time calculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tobor

has anyone found a calculator for the actual driving time it would take to go from one city to the next?  what I'm looking for is the number of days it would take to go from DC to Phoenix but realistic driving time not a total number of hours that you get from MapQuest but an actual realistic 5 to 8 hours a day driving time.

this will be our first cross country trip and we're trying to plan how many days it would take so we know how much time to take off from my job any help that you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks much

In my very limited experience, I calculate my daily driving time based on 47 mph average.

Most any of the trip planning programs (I know MS S&T will) will allow you to enter daily start and stop times and average projected speed to predict realistic arrival times at your destination.  How accurate their actual driving time calculations are between point A and point B depends on traffic at the time.  All daily start and stops can be adjusted to reasonably overlay over your route.  It shouldn't ne an insurmountable problem.

Microsoft Streets and Trips has a trip planner function that may help you. You program in a start and stop time, program a break every so many hours, speeds expected, etc. I use it frequently, and if you plug in the right amount of stop times it is fairly accurate.

I figure 50 mph average on normal roads (except in the northeast, where it's lower) and 60-65 (depending on where) when running limited access highways. For us that usually includes some rest stops, meal stops and fuel stops. Then, of course, it's simple math.

I have recently used MS S&T for trips from Texas to SC and to CA.  I drive about 250-300 miles a day.  Using the trip planner options, set speed setting to lowest for all roads (I go 60-62) and a 15 min break every 2hrs.  With one fuel stop, I always arrived within 30 min of estimated time.  To use effectively, you just need to know how many miles a day, how often you stop, how long you stop for lunch, etc.  We usually leave by 10 and stop between 3-4.  Without a program, I would just take total miles to drive and divide by 300 to get travel days.

Yea, I'm another one using MS Streets & Trips on my laptop for planning and as my primary GPS while travelling. I find it is pretty accurate for planning as it takes into account the construction on your route.
It's also great if you want to change your mind on your route midway. I use the Holux GPS so I can see where I am 24/7 without an internet connection.

thanks everyone for the replys.  I guess I have a another question does anyone seriously go Travel Trailer camping in Phoenix in July?  The reason I ask is I am trying to decide weather too take the trailer and stay in Phoenix or for this trip drive out and get the hotel room. 

I lived in Phoenix years ago but never stayed in a trailer and not sure if the air conditioner can keep up with the heat.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

If it were me in the month of July in Phoenix where you will have 105 plus degree days...I'd be in a hotel.

Oscar Mike said:
If it were me in the month of July in Phoenix where you will have 105 plus degree days...I'd be in a hotel.

I tend to agree. Even here in Riggins, ID I've seen 105-110*F days and RV A/C will not keep up with those kind of temps very well. It might for awhile but it will slowly creep up. Like my Jayco with a single A/C unit does a fair job of holding 78-82*F inside with 95*F outside temps on the desert of Idaho. But like I said it will creep up on you.  ::)

O M hit it on the head.....45-50 MPH good average. Oh I forgot, do you have children?  A dog? time spent at rest areas.  Do like to do long lunch breaks?  There are a lot of variables.. 45-50 MPH is a good start. Traveling west?  pick up a hour a day. extra 60 miles........ going east?  Lose 60 miles............ give or take.......

Your GPS will give you a idea how far you will travel, and when you will get there (ETA)  I usually add a hour or hour and half to the ETA.

How long do you spend at the gas station?

How about a free download from somewhere for a one time trip from Grand Rapids, MI to Fort Benning, GA?  I have done the free trials before and had a heck of a time getting them to leave me alone afterwards.  I know...I took advantage of the offer.  I usually don't bother with such an offer due to the fact that time is usually not an issue.  This trip is different.  Son is graduating from Army boot camp and we will be there for the cord ceremony and the graduation come Hell or high water!  Allotting my vacation days is the tricky part.  I will probably be working through the night before we leave for GA.  The DW has no problem driving while I try and get some sleep along the way (not good at sleeping in moving vehicles).

In the planning stages now.  Trip is just prior and during Labor Day weekend.  Planning on driving straight down.  As almost impossible as this may sound, looking for the easiest and fastest way to Ft. Benning so the DW is confident and I can sleep without one eye open.

Thoughts and ideas?

Have you tried www.mapquest.com?  If you click Get Directions you'll be prompted for a beginning and ending point.  City names are sufficient, you don't need an exact address unless you want routing to that level.  It'll plot a route and give you driving time in hours and minutes.

For Grand Rapids to Ft. Benning, Mapquest says the trip will take 14 hours, 46 minutes of actual driving.

Of course, that's at car speeds.  I'd add at least 10-15% for the speeds we drive. 

Figure out how many hours a day you want to drive, not counting breaks, etc. and you have an answer.

Mark,

II plotted your trip in Delorme Street atlas using my rates of travel in our Dutch Star.  We usually average about 50mph over each days drive so I used that.  I got just over 900 miles and just under 18 hours.  We usually travel about 6 hours a day including stops so it would take me 4 days.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Lou and Jim.
What I have discovered when using Mapquest in the past is the problem of running into construction delays not noted.  Otherwise, Mapquest gets me close enough to my destination.  And being a trucker for 30 years, I can usually figure out the details needed to put me in the driveway without any problem. 

I've looked at different scenarios with different versions of software and have seen everything from 13 to 15 hours by car straight through.  As Lou mentioned, I also add a buffer for gas, food, stretching out the legs, whatever.  Like the OP, we are trying to nail down driving time.  Maybe too close for comfort.  I just don't want to pay for software for a one time trip.  It's the Hollander in me.  Sorry.  And if the time constraints allotted by my vacation days wasn't an issue, it would be no problem.

Hence, the reason I was wondering if there was a software available that was cheap, if not free, that anyone has found that seems to be in real time for just such a trip?  I also realize I might be asking too much.  But I thought I would ask just in case somebody had found such a reliable site.

Marc, if it?s really a one time thing I think I would rough it out with mapquest also. That seems to be the most accurate I?ve found when travelling.
If you think you might use it more than once I would go with Streets & Trips. Just using it at home it?s around $40, it?s very easy to customize for drive time and you can use it as often as you like. For another $40 you can buy the Holux gps receiver and now you have GPS/navigation when travelling that does look at construction. Don?t think you?ll find anything cheaper IMO.

If you drove a truck for 30 years, all you need is a map and a CB.. you will get all the info you will need using either one.

Jim

I figure 30 miles per hour when planning my trips. This gives me oodles of time for all the spontaneous stops I enjoy. I figure when I head out west, it will take me a month to get there, a month or two to visit and repair, then  a month to get back.  ;D

Of course I'm the same person who went sailing for 2 years and came back 23 years later. Time flies when you're having fun!

DearMissMermaid said:
I figure 30 miles per hour when planning my trips. This gives me oodles of time for all the spontaneous stops I enjoy. I figure when I head out west, it will take me a month to get there, a month or two to visit and repair, then  a month to get back.  ;D

Of course I'm the same person who went sailing for 2 years and came back 23 years later. Time flies when you're having fun!

Before we got turned around due to a mechanical anomaly I was averaging 40 mph (200 miles/5hrs). I was actually pretty surprised at the slow rate of progress as I was driving at 58-63 mph, but I did go through 3 towns at 25 mph each, and we had two unscheduled stops of about 5-10 minutes each, and two long grades... So it is easy to see how you would enjoy a 30 mph average, gives one time to stop and smell the roses, which is why I enjoy RVing. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom