Adding a hardwired Inverter to my new 5ver....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the "for what it's worth" dept., I faced the same problem with my boat. Didn't want to rip out the liner to access wiring. Had a double throw switch to go from generator to shore power but adding the inverter didn't fit that pattern.
The Magnum MM1524AE inverter was by far the easiest if not the cheapest solution. It has an internal relay that keeps shore or genset power from getting into that circuit. I wired it to the output of the double throw switch and can draw 110vac when I have no other source. When I do get power from shore or genset, it feeds the charger for the batts. (Only do this with house batts, not these needed to start the aux diesel.)
I'm seriously thinking of pulling that inverter off before I sell the boat after reading what Sarge is doing.

Well, my transfer switch came today. I had it wired in 30 minutes later. I tested it and all is well. I had a brief moment of confusion when I first tested the switch with just the Inverter on. When the Inverter powered on I was watching the remote display to see how much power was being consumed.

I was dismayed when the load pulled the battery's down to 12.0 volts. I started shutting off all the lights and TV's and checking the load with not much change. Then I happened to notice that the auto light on the refer was on, and the A/C input light was lit. Apparently the circuit with the entertainment center also powers the refer. I switched the refer over to gas, and within a few seconds the load dropped to normal.

I will just have to remember to run the refer on propane when we dry camp.  But all is well, the 5ver with the inverter is working like a charm. Thanks to all for the copious amounts of advice and wisdom that allowed me to pull this off.

SargeW said:
Well, my transfer switch came today. I had it wired in 30 minutes later. I tested it and all is well. I had a brief moment of confusion when I first tested the switch with just the Inverter on. When the Inverter powered on I was watching the remote display to see how much power was being consumed.

I was dismayed when the load pulled the battery's down to 12.0 volts. I started shutting off all the lights and TV's and checking the load with not much change. Then I happened to notice that the auto light on the refer was on, and the A/C input light was lit. Apparently the circuit with the entertainment center also powers the refer. I switched the refer over to gas, and within a few seconds the load dropped to normal.

I will just have to remember to run the refer on propane when we dry camp.  But all is well, the 5ver with the inverter is working like a charm. Thanks to all for the copious amounts of advice and wisdom that allowed me to pull this off.
You might want to invest in a clamp-on DC ammeter like this one:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-clamp-on-ammeter/p-03482369000P?PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=39869:4:0

You can clamp it around any wire and tell the amp flow on that specific wire. That includes the actual battery cable to find the accumulative load.

I wanted to finish up this thread and report on the function of the install.  I installed the 1000 watt hardwired Inverter to the storage bay, and later added a transfer switch that controls just the shore power and the Inverter power to the circuit that runs the entertainment center and many of the 110 volt plugs in the rig. Thanks to Roamer for sourcing the transfer switch, it fit the bill perfectly. 

I am dry camping at the beach right now, and the system is working flawlessly.  I can turn the inverter on to power the entertainment center, and the plugs that also power my computer (as I am doing right now).  I can start the generator and the dedicated transfer switch rolls the circuit over to shore power, and I can monitor the charge of the batteries by the Inverter remote panel in the rig.  When I am done with the gen and shut it off, the Inverter picks back up and all the electronics don't miss a beat.  All without me having to change plugs or switch circuits. 

Thanks everyone for your input, I couldn't have done it without you!

I'm so jealous that you (and obviously so many others here) can do this kind of work yourselves. I've followed this thread from the beginning and tried to read it carefully and I still couldn't imagine taking this on myself. I have no problem taking it somewhere to have it done but I don't have the confidence that they will be as detail oriented, thinking about all the possible considerations, that you have. Kudos!

BTW, I was reviewing your travel blog and saw your recent trip to Utah. We were just in Zion a few weeks ago ourselves and will be back doing about the same parks you were just in on our return trip from Yellow Stone in September. I saw the picture where you were approaching the tunnel. Were you towing on that approach or just a ride? I ask because your rig looks too long to me and wondered how you managed that. I'd love to avoid the drive around to get to Zion from the north east but didn't think we would be allowed through.

Thanks for the kind words Paul. I got a lot of help from others on the forum that guided me through the project.

You are right about the picture going through the tunnel. We are just driving the truck. That route is way too small for most RV traffic. In fact they have little booths set up on each end with rangers stopping the questionable size vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom