Adding AC outlet to Slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullabunk

Anyone have a good way to add an AC outlet to the slide.  I would like to have one in the dining area where I frequently use a computer.  Currently the slide has only 12V.

The trailer is a 2011 Jayco Eagle ultra lite.

Thanks for any ideas.

You need a flexible cable and follow the 12v line the goes out with the slide it should be on the bottom on my old trailer they had a hinged rod that was attached to the body and to the slide. it may be hard to get a box and receptacle in the wall.

It's going to be WAY cheaper to go on line an buy a 12 volt adapter for your computer if it is a laptop.  If it's a desk top, use a plug in inverter. If you google "lap top adapter" you will get several hits. I have used a 12 volt on a laptop in the rig for years. Works great.

Fullabunk said:
Inverter is great idea, I hadn't thought of going that direction.  Thanks
If you dry camp/boon dock a lot you will be losing a certain amount of efficiency between the inverter and the laptop power supply.  A straight 12 VDC adapter for your laptop is likely going to be more efficient.  But who knows.

TonyT said:
If you dry camp/boon dock a lot you will be losing a certain amount of efficiency between the inverter and the laptop power supply.  A straight 12 VDC adapter for your laptop is likely going to be more efficient.  But who knows.

Most Laptops aren't 12v (19 to 24) and the manufacturers 12v adapter is usually more expensive than an inverter.

Also, don't keep your laptop constantly plugged in.  Cycle the battery up and down a bit.  The battery will last longer.

gkas said:
Also, don't keep your laptop constantly plugged in.  Cycle the battery up and down a bit.  The battery will last longer.

This is true if your laptop uses older technology NiMH batteries.  With the advent of Li-ion batteries, this is not necessary.

Ed

gkas said:
Do you have a URL for that?  Other than when I'm travelling my 4.5 year old laptop has always been plugged in.  Battery life has decreased from 2. 4 hours to 1.5 hours.  Which I figure is pretty darned good for that.

If you got 4.5 years on a laptop battery, that's excellent.  Typical life is about 3 years.  And as Ed says, there is no need to cycle Li-ion batteries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSRTECH
Back
Top Bottom