Aditional overnight parking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rancher Will

On our recent trip to and from Southern California in July I happened to notice another business that welcomes RV parking ovrnight.

Kroger Company, the parent of City Markets and King Soopers stores in our rocky mountain area, has a number of Super Stores, compareable to Wal-Mart Stores in our area. We stopped at one for a little shopping, noticed RV's parked in the large lot and asked the store policy about over night parking.

We were told that Krogers has a policy that RV overnighters are welcome in any of their store parking lots that have enough space. We did not park there that night but informed the store manager that if we did we would always do some shopping while parked. We did shop that day but did not stay over night.

From time to time we use Wal-Mart Store parking over night, and always do some shopping while parked. Perhaps in the future we made do the same at some Kroger stores.

Also on the subject of local parking ordinances applying to Wal-Mart (presumably with Kroger too), twice at Wal-Marts I have been informed that when parking overnight at a Wal-Mart, if we are contacted while parked and informed that an ordinance prohibits overnights, then we should merely reply that we parked to shop and we will be shopping in the morning. No ordinance prohibits shopping while parked and there cannot be a time limit for shopping. This has been our instructions by both the Store Manager in one store and the Security person at another Wal-Mart. The last one was at a Wal-Mart Store in Westmister Colorado that has such a city ordinance. We have never had any problem parking at any Wal-Mart Store over night.

I have wondered about the definition of "overnight" parking.  Sometimes you see a sign that says you cannot park overnight but when I store is open 24/7, what constitutes overnight?  Is it based on when there is light or some other arbitrary definition?  Just curious.

Also on the subject of local parking ordinances applying to Wal-Mart (presumably with Kroger too), twice at Wal-Marts I have been informed that when parking overnight at a Wal-Mart, if we are contacted while parked and informed that an ordinance prohibits overnights, then we should merely reply that we parked to shop and we will be shopping in the morning. No ordinance prohibits shopping while parked and there cannot be a time limit for shopping. This has been our instructions by both the Store Manager in one store and the Security person at another Wal-Mart. The last one was at a Wal-Mart Store in Westmister Colorado that has such a city ordinance. We have never had any problem parking at any Wal-Mart Store over night.

In Cortez Colorado, the Walmart manager said that the parking lot is private property and despite the "no overnight parking" signs, only Walmart can ask someone to leave or call the police on someone in the lot. As long as RVers are respectful, they are welcome to park overnight.

It has been my experience that when an officer of the law advises you to move your vehicle you can argue the point but his response will be to cite you and let you argue it in front of a judge.  If you can talk him into walking away and leaving you alone you're a better debater than me.

taoshum said:
Maybe the parking is for "customers"... imagine that?

I would agree that parking is for ''customers''.......  It seems that every time we overnight at Wall Mart I am luckey to get out for less than one hundred fifty dollars in ''stuff'' that My Willa just can not live without.  For me, it is always cheaper to go to a 60 dollar a night campground and stay.
Of course this is just my opinion and yours may differ......cj....

Bring the troops home now..... RIGHT NOW.... cj

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom