Advertisement's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched this discussion for several days without commenting, but I figure it's time that I, as the forum owner, chipped in. I appreciate the comments, and will take them under advisement. However, almost everything I see posted here is opinion, some of it inaccurate or speculative.

FWIW this forum has never charged for access in the last 21 years we've been around. However, when we moved from our prior host (Compuserve/AOL) to the Internet almost 10 years ago, I was personally on the hook for the costs.

We have a very small number of forum members who have generously dipped into their pockets  to contribute to our costs, some 1-time and a number annually or more often. Some of these folks respond to Betty Brewer's efforts to impose a "rally tax" at the annual Quartzsite rally, while others use the Donate button above, and a few have mailed or handed me a check. I really appreciate the support of all these folks, and can't begin to thank them all, although I respond individually & privately to individual contributions and post a public message to thank rally contributors.

Contrary to the apparent belief of some folks, I've never attempted to make a dime out of this forum, although I've spent my share of all-nighters dealing with sever, software, and related issues. I budget and manage the expenses conservatively, with one eye on our future resource needs and expenses. I don't normally solicit ads, but have been approached by several businesses at different times.

The 'income' derived from donations and paid advertisements is used for the benefit of our forum members; In addition to funding our increasing resource demands, it pays for other benefits for our members, some of which may not be obvious, and to ensure the long-term viability of the forum.

As a little background, Compuserve 'forum owners', aka 'business partners', prior to my time were paid quite lucratively, but that all ended just before I took over the forum. They (the forum owners) didn't need to worry about resources or costs, as this was all taken care of by the host.

I've been approached by a number of 'commercial' entities to purchase this forum, some on multiple occasions, some of the offers being quite lucrative. However, although I always listen to what would-be suitors have to say, I've turned down every offer. My belief is that our members would not like the outcome if I sold out, not the least of which would be a plethora of ads.

To answer one question that came up ... our forum software has a built-in "subscriptions" capability, and it can be configured with other functions to allow or limit forum features, including the display of ads. I've consciously avoided enabling subscriptions.

Those of us who have been with you since the beginning, or quite near the beginning, appreciate your efforts and the money you have spent out of your own pocket for the benefit of our members.  We also very much appreciate the hours you have spent and the hours our unpaid volunteer staff members have spent.  Great job, Tom and staff! 

Margi

Thanks Margi, and thanks for the kudos for all forum staff. Folks who don't know who they are should click the Hosts button above.

Good discussion but let's not get hung up with spelling or grammatical errors.

-- Ad is a noun that means advertisement.  The plural of this noun is ads. 

-- Add is a verb that means to join something together to increase the size, number, or amount.  Adds is the plural of this verb. 

I think the theme of this discussion is regarding the noun .... Ad (advertisement) or the plural Ads.

The title of the book is, How to pick up desperate woman with your outstanding personality, or I'm so desperate I will do anything for five minutes of fame.

Without sounding contrite, what would a fair annual donation be? I have only been a member for a short time, but I have grown to enjoy the forum for its entertainment and educational value. I know how expensive simple web pages are to maintain (we are upgrading our web page at www.jmbconstructioninc.com currently and it isn't cheap.

We wouldn't presume to suggest an amount; Folks have different means and different perceptions of their derived value/benefit.

Tin man said:
The Forum is really starting to get cluttered with adds.  I find it quite annoying when my fat fingers accidentally touch one of the adds and it lights up.......

I know it cost money yo run the forum but enough is enough......

You have now two pages of adds...

Jim

Honestly I hadn't noticed.  But now that you mention it.    ;)

As mentioned earlier, we don't have "two pages of ads"; Tin Man has something else going on with his system/browser.

Since the discussion has come full circle, it might be time to lock this.

I actually appreciate the ads.  I like to support people who are supporting something I use or enjoy.  Sorry that Tom has to explain what the money goes for.  Seems like it is for our benefit.
Time for me to hit the "donate" button.

I'm not as bashful as Tom. If every active member donated $1/month, we probably wouldn't need any advertising. But every active member doesn't donate, so the generosity of some can help make up for the paucity of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom