Advice for managing dogs in the campground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How does a E collar work when you are a mile away?
It does work up to 1/2 mile
We watch her and make sure she is calm before we get to far away.
We check her periodically and make sure she is OK.
We don't leave her for more than 3-4 hrs and not often.
They make "no bark" collars. They are activated by the barking sound/throat vibrations when the dog barks. It works automatically. You start out using the mild electrical stimulation setting and slowly adjust it down while activating a noise/chime setting. Eventually, the dog associates the electrical stimulation with the chime and then all you need is the chime, and then eventually nothing as they just learn not to bark.

They make "no bark" collars. They are activated by the barking sound/throat vibrations when the dog barks. It works automatically. You start out using the mild electrical stimulation setting and slowly adjust it down while activating a noise/chime setting. Eventually, the dog associates the electrical stimulation with the chime and then all you need is the chime, and then eventually nothing as they just learn not to bark.
We have this anti bark collar for our collie who is a barker. We had a similar anti bark collar for a toy fox terrier that we rescued who was also a barker.

Works quite well. The collie has learned to stop barking once it vibrates. The toy fox terrier would stop barking once we put the collar on.

We have never left our dogs unattended in the RV. We just take them along in the toad. Concerned they wouldn't be safe left unattended.

Last edited:
No park that I have ever stayed in had "doggy police" walking around looking for violations. If nobody notices, how is it a problem? Of course, I have only been RVing for 40 years, mostly with a dog along so...............
Maybe they should have. I’ve never gone to management or the owner to complain about dogs barking. But I am annoyed by habitual barking and consider it a problem. One that I shouldn’t have to deal with.

Are you advocating getting your dogs stoned? And uh, what was the name of those dog treats? Just for, you know, educational purposes. :cool:
Now really. Are you crazy? I plead the 5th. If I was to do it, it would be under the direction from our vet. Where he weighs 5 lbs, it would be a 1/2 treat in the morning and a 1/2 treat around supper time or a half hour before a event like us going out or a lightning storm is coming. The brand name would probably be Only Natural Pet HEMP sold at Pet Smart stores and on Amazon. There are many other brands out there also.

Last edited:
Maybe they should have. I’ve never gone to management or the owner to complain about dogs barking. But I am annoyed by habitual barking and consider it a problem. One that I shouldn’t have to deal with.
I consider skunks and bears and coyote 's a problem too. But you are in the middle of "nature" and animals are part of nature. Do you complain about the owls hooting all night? Or when you hear a wolf howling?

I consider skunks and bears and coyote 's a problem too. But you are in the middle of "nature" and animals are part of nature. Do you complain about the owls hooting all night? Or when you hear a wolf howling?

This premise has a ton of problems as a debatable point. By this logic domesticated pets should therefor be allowed to roam free in packs like wolves and coyotes around camp grounds.

If I am buying a $100k RV rig to commune with nature there is a reasonable expectation that I am not intending to commune with packs of domesticated dogs.

I am a dog owner and dog lover. The simple premise of domestic dog ownership is that they be trained and under control of their owners. Nothing to me is more satisfying in this regard than an owner who has taken the time to train their dog(s) to be well behaved, come to heel when called and not bark or be a nuisance to anyone else.

And I will go out on a limb here and say that if one travels in an RV and 60% of the time are gone all day sightseeing while their dog is "kenneled" in an RV, they are not doing the dog any favors. The dog is an accessory to your life and not "part of the pack" - You might be better off with stuffed animals.

Keeping a dog in a 2400 sq/ft house or a 1/3 acre yard is way different then cooping them up in a 3-400sq/ft RV.

Sorry - rant over - LOL...

People go to campgrounds without the expectation of having to tolerate listening to another camper's precious' never ending yapping. Were the camper 50' out my front door keeping owls, wolves, wildebeests and bull elephants in a portable enclosure that might be an issue as well.
The problem as I've noticed is many dog owners assume other's are as amused with their pets as they seem to be. Not sure how many times I've heard, "don't worry, he doesn't bite".

One that I shouldn’t have to deal with.
While the same could be said for noisy children, loud vehicles, loud music, and a host of other things, if it bothers you perhaps you should complain to someone? I really don't like being near any of those either but if it is really bothersome I would say something to someone. I suspect that there are times that the dog owners aren't aware of it's barking. I really don't appreciate any of those either when really intrusive but try to be tolerant to some reasonable level. Most commercial parks do have some type of rules to address such issues and really try to be accommodating to as many people as they can. If nobody says anything the offenders may not even realize.

Judging by what I saw at the Q show, most people just get little foo-foo dogs and push them around in baby strollers.
You lose your man-card immediately but no barking camper to bother the neighbors!
LOL. DH insists we will never have a foo-foo dog. (We'll see) We're grateful to have our Miss Molly, a Transylvanian Hound. We had her for three months before we ever heard her bark. Even now it's just a woof. We consider ourselves lucky dog owners.

A couple in our Maritimes caravan had a small poodle. It was the focus of her attention, and she always said her dog never barked or made noise while they were gone.
Someone parked beside their MH recorded her dogs constant barking while she was gone, then played it back to her when she arrived.
The poor woman sat down on the ground a cried she became so upset. Sometimes the truth really does hurt.
BTW, there are training methods to rectify that loneliness barking. The very first part is correct crate training (make it the dogs safe-place)

This premise has a ton of problems as a debatable point. By this logic domesticated pets should therefor be allowed to roam free in packs like wolves and coyotes around camp grounds.

If I am buying a $100k RV rig to commune with nature there is a reasonable expectation that I am not intending to commune with packs of domesticated dogs.

I am a dog owner and dog lover. The simple premise of domestic dog ownership is that they be trained and under control of their owners. Nothing to me is more satisfying in this regard than an owner who has taken the time to train their dog(s) to be well behaved, come to heel when called and not bark or be a nuisance to anyone else.

And I will go out on a limb here and say that if one travels in an RV and 60% of the time are gone all day sightseeing while their dog is "kenneled" in an RV, they are not doing the dog any favors. The dog is an accessory to your life and not "part of the pack" - You might be better off with stuffed animals.

Keeping a dog in a 2400 sq/ft house or a 1/3 acre yard is way different then cooping them up in a 3-400sq/ft RV.

Sorry - rant over - LOL...
As an avid hunter, I have always taken the time to train my dogs properly, and I think I'm pretty good at it. I've had people comment, "How come your dog didn't run out the gate when you opened it?", or "How do you get your dog to 'sit/stay/heel/fetch/come' immediately when you tell him to?"

I just tell them, "From the time they are a 3-month old puppy, I spend 20 minutes every single day going over the basics like 'sit' until they have it down perfectly then I move on to 'stay'. During the 'stay' portion of training I go back over 'sit' a couple times every day, also. It pays off in the end because by the time they are 6-months old you have a well-behaved dog that is actually a pleasure to be around."

I've seen hunters in the field with dogs you just want to shoot because they are completely out of control.

LOL. DH insists we will never have a foo-foo dog. (We'll see) We're grateful to have our Miss Molly, a Transylvanian Hound. We had her for three months before we ever heard her bark. Even now it's just a woof. We consider ourselves lucky dog owners.
My ex called them 'kick dogs', and she was only like 4' 9" tall. :LOL:

As an avid hunter, I have always taken the time to train my dogs properly, and I think I'm pretty good at it. I've had people comment, "How come your dog didn't run out the gate when you opened it?", or "How do you get your dog to 'sit/stay/heel/fetch/come' immediately when you tell him to?"

I just tell them, "From the time they are a 3-month old puppy, I spend 20 minutes every single day going over the basics like 'sit' until they have it down perfectly then I move on to 'stay'. During the 'stay' portion of training I go back over 'sit' a couple times every day, also. It pays off in the end because by the time they are 6-months old you have a well-behaved dog that is actually a pleasure to be around."

I've seen hunters in the field with dogs you just want to shoot because they are completely out of control.
Love me a well trained hunting dog. Blue ticks are probably my favorite, but an English or Irish setter is nothing to sneeze at either. Trying to also make them family pets is a bit of a challenge though. If you want a great bird dog it has to be dedicated to that role.

Love me a well trained hunting dog. Blue ticks are probably my favorite, but an English or Irish setter is nothing to sneeze at either. Trying to also make them family pets is a bit of a challenge though. If you want a great bird dog it has to be dedicated to that role.
My first dog was a German Shorthair because my dad was was an avid quail and pheasant hunter so that's what I grew up around. All the rest of my dogs have been labs because I am an avid duck hunter and Shorthairs just can't hack the cold sometimes. They all have made good family dogs, too, as their dispositions were calm (not hyper).

Last edited:
had a female english setter for 15 years. great hunter (pheasants in MN, ND, and SD)and family dog. each summer at least once she'd bring me a bird she caught herself on our own land. Had to scold her a few times, she didn't understand she had to leave the hens alone.

had a female english setter for 15 years. great hunter (pheasants in MN, ND, and SD)and family dog. each summer at least once she'd bring me a bird she caught herself on our own land. Had to scold her a few times, she didn't understand she had to leave the hens alone.
I have an English Setter (actually a Llewellin Setter which is subbred of English only for bird hunting and socialization...not show). See pic. Great bird dog and loving family dog. He is not only great at pointing out birds but incredible in finding downed birds that have hidden away. Amazing dog...way, way too smart for his own good. He is always on the hunt. IMG_2289.jpg

Back
Top Bottom