Advice on buying an RV for the first time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craftercool

Hello everyone! Owning an RV has been the dream of my life since I was a kid, but the thing is, I do not know a thing about them, so I'm definitely hoping to make good use of this forum and learn a lot.
That being said, finally, after so many years of thinking it, saving, and dreaming about it, it's hunting time! I'm about to start looking out there hoping to get myself a good deal and once and for all become an RV owner.

Now, I'm interested in a trailer, so my first thought is making sure it's not stolen or anything like that, is it the same procedure as with a vehicle? You get the serial number (VIN) and have it checked at the department of motor vehicles (although a trailer is not motorized)?

Have some advice? I mean I'm sure one has to check everything's working like the AC, lights, fans, but what advice would you give a rookie in order to avoid getting scammed.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Attachments

• example trailer.png
    example trailer.png
    345.6 KB · Views: 3
Wood rot caused by water leaks is probably the number one killer of all types of RV's it is often FAR more extensive and FAR more expensive to repair than one would think at first glance. If you see any sign of water stains on the ceiling or walls run away, also start ANY RV inspection by inspecting the roof and work your way down, that way if you see any potential trouble spots on the roof, caulking that looks marginal, etc. you then go look inside below there closely (in cabinets, etc.) for signs of water stains. Beyond that it is mostly checking systems (water, gas, appliances, etc.) as well as chassis , suspension , frame, etc. for excessive rust, broken welds, bending, etc.

p.s. freshly painted interior may be covering up water damage

As a newby, once you have found sonething you think will work, get rid of the salesman for a half hour or so and play house in it. Pretend your taking a shower, using the toilet both standing and sitting, getting ready for bed, how about making a meal, closet/storage space for food and clothes. Well you get the idea. If you feel the floor plan meets your needs, hire a mobile service tech to go with you to fully inspect it. It will be money well spent, believe me. Remember an RV is basically a house on wheels, so before spending your hard earned cash you want to ensure everything is working correctly.
Now, please understand towing next. No one will ever tow an empty trailer. And because you have no clue how much stuff you will load it with, get the trailers GVWR. This tou can find on a metal looking tag on the street side near the front usually about belt level. This will give you things like VIN, axle rating, OE tire size etc. Also look at the tires get the build date. If they are older than 4 years, good chances you will have to buy new tires real quick.
Once you have the trailers GVWR you can match a tow vehicle to the load.
Be careful and take your time. In todays inflated market people are asking the moon for junk and often times getting it from some unsuspecting sucker. You dont want to be one of those.

#1 Rule - Don't fall in love with any trailer until after you've bought it. You have to be unemotional and suspend FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out. Buying the wrong one or getting talked into something by a snake oil salesman is a huge and expensive trap.

#2 Rule - Water, water, water. Isaac nailed it. Water damage is the number one killer of RVs. Even a small amount of damage can be hugely expensive and disruptive to your RV experience.

If you are buying new this risk is reduced but then you have a year or so shaking down and dealing with warranty.

Make looking at trailers a hobby for a while. Go look at bad ones and "good ones" - ask questions about them here. Lots of super experienced folks will tell you what's what.

And Don gives solid advice. The tow vehicle is a huge commitment in $$. Make sure it will suit your present needs and future needs. Don't take a salesman's word on what it can tow. The numbers are the numbers - learn what they are and what they mean.

Have fun in your education and shopping!

After looking out for water, and condition in general, the next most important thing is the floor plan. Make sure it works for you and that you like it. Many folks buy a unit and then find out the layout doesn't work for them or is too small.

Now, I'm interested in a trailer, so my first thought is making sure it's not stolen or anything like that, is it the same procedure as with a vehicle? You get the serial number (VIN) and have it checked at the department of motor vehicles (although a trailer is not motorized)?
A RV trailer is considered to be a "vehicle" in every state. It has a VIN to uniquely identify it and it will have a state-issued title, just like a car or truck.
However, you need to change your mind-set when shopping. The "vehicle" part or your search is insignificant. Instead, you need to be thinking "house" and "furnishings" and "utilities". The house you are buying has to be large enough and layed out to meet your needs. You want to make sure the roof doesn't leak and the floors aren't soft. The furnishings come with it, so check the cabinets and such carefully. It also has its own water, sewer & electric utilities, so make sure those function as well. There is a lot to learn and a lot to check before putting your money down.

You also need to be able to move that trailer, so you will want a capable tow vehicle. Despite what the salesman likely says, chances are your current SUV or pick-up truck will NOT be adequate to tow it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the very informative answers, geez, water, right? I would have never imagined. I'll definitely pay close attention to that.

So,
A RV trailer is considered to be a "vehicle" in every state. It has a VIN to uniquely identify it and it will have a state-issued title, just like a car or truck.

That means you also have them checked with the VIN to verify it doesn't have a theft report, right? Also, since it's not motorized I'm assuming they don't need to pass the annual inspection, but, do they need a sticker?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are several categories you might find useful in the Resources section.

Note you will need to download most to read them.

Buying and Checklists being 2.

Understand what payload CCC is and GVWR for the trailer as these are important.

To see online floor plans check out

www.pplmotorhomes.com

Note that you can pay an independent inspector to check out your potential purchase (RVIA) I can't do a link as I'm in the UK and site doesn't let me in.

Ask any questions you need to as many times as you need to!

Happy hunting.

I highly encourage you to rent one for an extended weekend and take it to a local state park. You will learn a ton from that experience with minimal outlay of money. Yes the horse (truck) that pulls the cart (trailer) is very important, especially important for a beginner. Your example above, most likely will need a 3/4 ton truck to pull it. Don't listen to talk about towing numbers, get very familiar with the term payload, it is on a yellow sticker in the drivers door. You have come to the right place for advise from some very seasoned wise people. An fyi, RV salespeople many / most times are slipperier than a used car salesman. Do not look to them for advise, none. Good for you starting your homework, there is a lot to consider.

Now, please understand towing next. No one will ever tow an empty trailer. And because you have no clue how much stuff you will load it with, get the trailers GVWR. This tou can find on a metal looking tag on the street side near the front usually about belt level. This will give you things like VIN, axle rating, OE tire size etc. Also look at the tires get the build date. If they are older than 4 years, good chances you will have to buy new tires real quick.
Once you have the trailers GVWR you can match a tow vehicle to the load.
Be careful and take your time. In todays inflated market people are asking the moon for junk and often times getting it from some unsuspecting sucker. You dont want to be one of those.
The importance of weight rating cannot be overstated. You will find all kinds of hype about “dry weight”. This is basically a useless number for sizing a tow vehicle because the rig isn’t even delivered to the dealer at the dry weight. Size your tow vehicle to the GVWR only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom