Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Springdale

Currently have Good Sam for road service. It is up for renewal and and thinking of canceling. Are there any others that can be recommended?

I'm interested in why you are cancelling. While I currently have AAA Plus I seem to be looking at CoachNet on advice of others. We are hoping to head our January 1 for a 6 month trial excursion, and while I hope I don't need an emergency road service, I do want to make sure I have the best on the market.

Have you looked via the search function here?

Right now I have ERS on our auto policy with American Family.  While going to Denver 2 years ago my wife had a tire failure.  She called the number and a tow truck took her to the next town (about 30 miles) and dropped her off at a tire place that I had confirmed had the right tire for her car.  We had to pay for the tires but the tow was free.  This cost is $8 per YEAR for each car.  I have it on my truck and added our trailer for $15.  Might want to check with your insurance and see what they offer.  We never got a bill for that tow and everything went fairly quick.

Towing a car is one thing, towing and being provided the correct equipment for a large motor home or truck with 5th wheel or trailer is quite another. Coach Net seems to have the expertise to be able to handle it. AAAPlus has too but in certain areas they have stumbled badly, if reports are to be believed.

Basically all use either the same or similar towing contractors in a given area, the difference is in knowing what they require in a tow vehicle when they contract the job out and where to send it.

I understand what you are saying.  I have not needed it for anything other than the car.  I was told (for what that is worth) that having it on the trailer and truck that if the truck fails the truck AND trailer will be towed to the nearest location.  If I only have it on the truck then the trailer sits where it is until I get the truck fixed and get back to pick it up.  Or I could pay the extra to have the trailer towed as well.  Guess I would think (maybe wrongly) that if I told them I have a half ton pickup and am towing a 26 foot travel trailer they would send the right equipment to tow it.

if I told them I have a half ton pickup and am towing a 26 foot travel trailer they would send the right equipment to tow it.

You would think so.... but others have reported that some contractors have showed up with an (ex: F250) truck to tow a large motor home for a problem that really required a large lowboy flatbed. That's what I meant by the expertise required by the dispatcher, and knowing what his various contractors are able to provide. (I believe Coach Net plans covers all your vehicles with one plan, not just the RV, or Trailer, or Tow Vehicle or auto.)

Leaving the trailer at the roadside may not be an option is some areas, especially if repairs to the tow vehicle will take a day or two. Your requirements are relatively modest compared to some!!

I'll have to look into that Coach Net.  Like I said I have never needed it for truck or trailer.  Only suggested it as an option.  Also way I said I might be wrongly assuming they would send the correct equipment.

Here's how Good Sam treated me. BTW, they disconnected the drive shaft and raised the trailer hitch, before towing. Cost to tow 25 miles? Nothing.

Attachments

• Tow.jpg
    Tow.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 23
I was told (for what that is worth) that having it on the trailer and truck that if the truck fails the truck AND trailer will be towed to the nearest location.

Probably not, unless you have an RV coverage option. Get that statement direct from your roadside assist provider - don't rely on somebody else (including me!).

We have heard that Good Sam is getting out of the emergency road service gig.  No recent confirmation of that though.  We are going to check with AAA when ours is up for renewal.

I just received an invitation to purchase GS Roadside Assistance for $79.95 for the first year as a GS club member. I think Coach-Net is $89.00 plus a $10 app fee for their basic plan which has unlimited towing and assistance. Don't think their Premium plan would benefit us.

As we also have AAA Plus (not sure at this moment what that costs) but will need to get things lined up as we plan to leave January 1 for 6 months...so much to do.

My auto insurance has a coverage plan for towing. As for using in my 2002 Dodge Ram has 235k miles on the clock and never seen a tow truck ever! Never had a complete failure. Never had a tire violently blow out. I'm very very picky about vehicle maintenance I treat my truck like a airplane because if a airplane fails you might be dead.

Good Sam hasn't really been in the "road service gig" for several years. They just sell a policy serviced by another company, currently the Allstate Motor Club. Ditto for RV insurance - they aren't an insurer; they just market for one under the GS logo.

It's kind of like Coleman camping products - Coleman doesn't make a single one of them - they just license out their name.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbo1502001!
Back
Top Bottom