Advise on generator operation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whose standard? It's certainly not a standard in the generator world.

I admittedly don't know the generator world, so it's entirely possible I am wrong. I'm speaking from what I've learned from the audio engineers and anechoic chamber we use to test our products. 1m is definitely a common testing distance, but I should not have generalized it into a universal standard. With something loud like a genny, it does make sense that they'd test at a farther distance. The stuff we are testing is pretty quiet in comparison.

I think I found out why Honda's numbers don't match the real world.

There is a fine print note on the document that says "Tested in accordance with ISO9614-2, sound pressure level calculated at 23 feet"

So I went and looked up ISO9614-2. You have to pay to get the whole document but the summary indicates that the unit is scanned and then the sound level is "calculated".

So it appears that Honda has just paid a lab to cook the results and the readings they publish are technical fudge. They don't appear to be based on a real sound level reading at 23 feet.

The youtube video shows a real world reading of 68dBA at 20 feet under close to full load (1500W).

It makes me wonder if Champion and Yamaha are doing the same sort of deceit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom