Aggggggg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donn

Had to go buy a new computer today.  Went to my seldome used Win 7 machine to load TurboTax and low and behold since win7 is no longer supported TT has stopped supporting it.  From what I understand all the rest of the home tax siftware is also DOA for win7, and win8.1 will be DOA after this year.

Arch Hoagland said:
So what computer did you buy?
Bought a Lenovo laptop.  Should be the absolute last computer I buy.

Gizmo100 said:
It might have been the last one .....If you hadn't said that. ;D ;D

EXACTLY!!

donn...Don't know if you have used a laptop with Windows 10 on it before but one of the really neat settings (NOT) turns off your WiFi after about a half hour or so to save battery power.  It doesn't tell you it is going to shut it off  even if you are online ...it just does it.

Go into your power settings and turn that wonderful feature OFF.  Good luck getting your older printers to work.....

I have a Lenovo laptop.  The first one I bought blew a motherboard after 6 months.  And of course the model I had they didn't have anymore.  So I worked with them, and we went back and forth, and I finally got them to send me a Lenovo Ideapad Y700.  It's a "gaming" laptop, but I don't use it for gaming.  It has been pretty much flawless though.  It has a 120GB digital hard drive for the OS and other startup programs, and a 1TB standard hard drive for storage.  It boots up very quickly.  Other than it being pretty heavy for a laptop, it has done it's job.  Actually, it's what I'm on right now.  Good luck with yours, and have fun!

I use a Chromebook. Actually I have four Chromebooks. I did my taxes yesterday on TurboTax's web site. Took me a half an hour and cost $40. Could not have been easier or cheaper.

I worked in IT for much of my life. Windows provided job security.

As a retiree I no longer want to spend my days figuring out how to solve today?s computer mystery. A decade ago, the DW (she also was in IT for many years) & I switched to the fruity side and could not be happier. Pretty much nothing to manage.
We will be replacing our 2010 computers this year with new ones. No worries about the upgrade as all info will move easily.

Yes, I still have a few PCs around for my work/hobby but only occasional use.

donn said:
Had to go buy a new computer today.  Went to my seldome used Win 7 machine to load TurboTax and low and behold since win7 is no longer supported TT has stopped supporting it.  From what I understand all the rest of the home tax siftware is also DOA for win7, and win8.1 will be DOA after this year.

Yeah, this day and age, installing stand alone programs is counterproductive. I've uses Web-based apps for nearly everything for the last decade.

Oh, and about Win 7, Ya can't say that they didn't warn you.

I was in IT for 40 years. The days when a computer was obsolete by the time you got it home are long gone. I took a 2012 i7 laptop with 8 gb memory and upgraded it to Win 10 64 bit and a ssd hard drive. I cannot tell much if any difference between it and my 2020 i7 with 16 gb memory. Maybe not a gaming platform since the 2020 has 8 cores instead of 4 and the memory speed is faster. But no real difference for normal use. You would be surprised how much faster any computer runs with just a fresh install of Windows. I'm a big believer in keeping the registry and services cleaned up to maintain that speed.

I do not prepare my taxes online. The IRS can go back 5 years (some say more). My taxes are fairly complicated so I want to be able to rerun my taxes to see if I made a mistake before the auditor shows up. I have no faith in any software company still being around 5 years from now.

TheBar said:
The days when a computer was obsolete by the time you got it home are long gone.

Our primary computer at home (an HP Pavilion laptop usually on our dining room table) is almost 5 years old and I'm honestly shocked at how usable it still is. I upgraded the RAM from 8gb to 16gb, which helped a lot but was a chore in itself as this machine was NOT built to be easily disassembled and reassembled... but it, and I, survived. And I now use an aftermarket USB wifi adapter, as the built-in wifi was terrible in terms of reliability and speed capacity. Otherwise, it's doing fine and I'll use it until it dies completely.

And taxes, yes... need to get going on TurboTax online. I used TaxAct.com for many years, but their price structure got too high.

Yeah, this day and age, installing stand alone programs is counterproductive.

Hmmm... and what do you do when you don't have connectivity? We periodically see that. But my main objection to what you say is that I don't (DO NOT) want my stuff out in the "cloud." It's subject to loss, theft and/or hacking, and I don't need Google or others looking into and/or losing my stuff. I also prefer to avoid the "We're discontinuing that service" syndrome.

So, at least for me, it's FAR from counterproductive. Apparently it's your preference, which is fine for you, but don't wish that on me. I want no part of it. Plus, there's no fee if I avoid the "cloud."

Lynx0849 said:
I worked in IT for much of my life. Windows provided job security.

As a retiree I no longer want to spend my days figuring out how to solve today?s computer mystery. A decade ago, the DW (she also was in IT for many years) & I switched to the fruity side and could not be happier. Pretty much nothing to manage.
We will be replacing our 2010 computers this year with new ones. No worries about the upgrade as all info will move easily.

Yes, I still have a few PCs around for my work/hobby but only occasional use.

I tried to to go Apple a couple of years ago.  I bought a Mini-Mac, to try and get familiar with it for work (when those questions/issues came up).  But having been with the PC since the days of DOS, and growing into Windows starting with Windows 2.0 (anyone remember that...no mouse...Yikes!), I just couldn't do it.  Things that I think should work a certain way, didn't do it on the Mac.  It may be logical, or better even, but the PC/Windows imprint in my brain just wouldn't make it happen.  I will say there was never an issue with stability or anything.  It ran without a hitch for the 6 or 7 months I had it.  I won't say anything bad about the system, but I just couldn't make it work for me.  I'll be PC/Windows until I die.

For 30 years I was an Apple hater. In 2011 my wife was in the hospital for a 2 week stay and bored out of her mind. I had tried to teach my wife how to do the simplest things on a PC for 20 years but completely failed. She learned the iPad in no time. I was on call 24/7/365 so while she was in the hospital I tried using her iPad using Citrix to get into my work computer. It was clumsy but functional. Later IOS releases made it much more functional so I could go camping and still fix problems and attend Webex meetings. I bought an iPad for myself and carried it with me around our factories to make changes needed on individual machines. The iPad served me well until retirement. Have I used it since retirement, no.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom