Air bags to soften the bounce on my 2500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MtnGoat

On our current trip we encountered some amazing and crappy roads into Colorado on I70. Inside the 5th, doors and drawers were ajar not to mention our drinks in the cab. I travel at 65mph max with the 3000lb axles/tires. With just over 40k on the clock the truck gives a great ride empty or towing. But when the road gets bumpy all bets are off. Not the little bumps that are annoying. The big bumps that give you some elevation. That have skid marks on the other side of the ravine.

So this got me to thinking about adding an airbag package to keep the rear end from kicking back over those "dips".

I believe the airbags might help you in this situation. They don't really "soften" the ride, but they will help control the bouncing. My previous F-250's were notorious for bouncing, especially on the concrete highways that are Houston (among others...but I live here!). I would highly recommend also getting a wireless remote compressor. It will keep you from running wires and hoses and stuff into the cab. And being able to adjust "on the fly" is priceless. Around Houston, I would normally have to put the airbags around 65 - 75 psi to ease the bouncing and jouncing. But once I got out of Houston and the concrete roads, I could reduce the psi to around 25 - 35 psi. Hit some bumpy roads, increase the psi. It really was the way to go.

I'm sure others will add their expertise and experiences, but for me, it all worked great. Good luck, and let us know how it worked out for you if you do this.

I tow a 5th wheel with a 2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 6.6L diesel. The trailer weighs about 10,500 loaded, well below the GVWR of the rated 13,000. Air bags only marginally improved the truck ride but did soften the hard bumps a little. I think the air bags counteracted some of the unsprung action of the rear springs. The trailer axles have shocks on each axle and that helps with keeping things in the trailer from moving somewhat but still rough roads are tough on both. I drop the speed to 55 or less when the road gets really crappy.
I added the air bags in the hope it would improve the truck ride quality, but it didn't. It still rides like a truck and I'm OK with that but the wife tolerates it.

Air bags will not soften the ride at all, they will make it worse. Ive sold 1000s and used them on 4 trucks ( i dont like the rake on trucks and have always put on leveling kits but them the back end squats when hooking up a trailer)
#1 slow down your pulling a trailer the truck gets unbalanced and passes it on to the trailer which then gets unbalanced and the 2 cause a 3rd reaction.
#2 what is your hitch maybe you should look at it? Does it articulate what is the cushioning like?
#3 , your pinbox what is it? A std box sucks a rotoflex or others will help in dampening the rebound

Does the trailer have any suspension? If not, MorRyde's SRE4000 would definitely help.

Nothing will help if your near or over loaded. You need to scale your combo especially the rear axle.

Air bags may be just the ticket to soften the big ruts.

In regards to a rough trailer ride

It appears that the OP is referring to bounce in the trailer and not necessarily in the tow vehicle so that is where I will address my comments. I’m unclear as to whether the OP is towing a 5th wheel or a travel trailer but my comments will apply to both but be less effective given the application. Years ago I was using a GMC ¾ ton Suburban for towing a relatively light 7900 lb travel trailer I was experiencing what I termed a porpoising effect. The Suburban had a 7 leaf spring pack and was very stiff unloaded but compliant when weight was added. Actual tow ratings were below trailer GVW so I was ok. The very first change I made to the TV was the installation of Bilstein shock absorbers. In my opinion they are the finest made and dramatically improved the ride quality under all conditions. Stock shocks are typically junk, even when new unless they have factory upgrades. They were installed within the first 5000 miles on the odometer. Secondly, I added a shock absorber kit to all four of the trailer wheels. Dampening the axle articulation on the TV and trailer cured this issue and the ride comfort on any surface was greatly improved as well.

I will now add my comments on the effectiveness of leaf springs as a suitable suspension for any trailer. I think that leaf springs are a very poor way to locate axles, especially on a tandem axle trailer. Just look at the axles as they twist when jack knifing a trailer into a tight parking spot? The axles and their mounting brackets scream in pain as they try to tear themselves from the coach. If the axles deflect that much during the stresses encountered in tight slow cornering how well do they locate the axles at 60 mph under compression and rebound and higher speed cornering? Unless you have the desire to make wholesale suspension design changes, there are only mods that may lessen the evils of poor suspension design. I made the improvements on my first travel trailer that I mentioned with satisfactory results with the understanding that I was dealing with cheap junk to begin with and a pretty low expectation for performance. I probably put 50k miles on that trailer and it towed pretty comfortably.

When I purchased the current 5th wheel, I ran the existing suspension about 5k miles before I could no longer stand the really crappy ride. Yes, it towed far better than the travel trailer but still had leaf springs (with correct track and CRE 3000 equalizers) and electric drum brakes. I decided to make a serious axle/brake, tire/wheel upgrade for safety and comfort. Now, my coach that used to have 4400lb leaf spring axles and 12’’ electric “dumb” brakes and 15x6’’ wheels with 225/70 Maypop radial ST tires is now equipped with 7k Dexter Torsion axles de rated to 5300 lb, 13’’ vented disc rotors and 4 piston fixed calipers, 17x9’’ wheels using 245/75 17’’ LT E rated tires. The tow vehicle wheels are also 17x9’’ on the same stock sized 265/70 tires that the truck is spec’d for. Tow vehicle and trailer wheels match…This combination has been in service for about 4 yrs and 25k miles. There is no comparison to anything I have towed as far as braking, stability, and comfort. I understand it is a lot more than most are willing to change but I like the challenge and execution of the assembly. The tow vehicle is a GMC 2500 HD with many mods that make it acceptable, those again include Bilstein shocks and Air Lift 7500 XL air bags with wireless remote system. The air bags are for levelling only and I used the higher rated bags so that I could run them at a lower pressure and still retain a compliant ride. At max GVW I use 27 psi of pressure in the bags to obtain a level ride attitude.

Attachments

• Side view trailer after completed axle-brake conversion, 1st time on the road.jpg
    Side view trailer after completed axle-brake conversion, 1st time on the road.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 5
  • jack point in use.JPG
    jack point in use.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Brake conversion RS.JPG
    Brake conversion RS.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 5
  • mounted Air Lift compressor.jpg
    mounted Air Lift compressor.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom