Air Bags Whew !!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

I had asked a couple of questions regarding air bag PSi and reaplacement in another thread.
Well I ordered the Firestone Coil Rite air springs as repalcements for my P30 front end, and man what a job. If you do not have great upper body strenth do not attemp this.  Mine were in horrible condition. Once I got under the vehicle where I could get a good view I saw that the bags were completly blown apart. In other words these air bags had completely disintegrated. There were strands of them clinging to the springs but that was about it except where they had almost welded to the top and bottom of the springs. I had to heat the remnants of the old springs with a hot air gun and pull them out by pieces.

My brother in law (30+ years as auto mechanic )  came over yesterday after I spend 4 hours + struggling to get one out and the replacement in. He had the other bag in in just over 15 minutes. He had some problem placing the rubber mounts at the top and bottom of the springs but other wise would have taken him around 1 - 1 1/2 hours to complete the whole job minus removal of the tatered remnants

I am extremly pleased with the results though, the MH handles 100% better and I put the ride at around a 50-75% improvment. Well worth a long week end but OHHHH my acching back and hands.

In a previous thread "Average Life Span of Air Bags" I wondered about how long these bags last or if it's not an issue.  Guess we now know that it can be an issue.  Alan, how old is your motorhome?  Also, do you know where it's been in terms of desert heat or humidity?  Just curiosity on my part.  With all the rubber we have in RVs, we know things like belts disintegrate over time but they probably get more hard usage than the air bags so I would expect moving parts to disintegrate faster.  And, I should think if they've been in desert heat and sun they would disintegrate faster than if they were in a more humid area.

By the way, I'm glad you got this project finished.  Isn't it great when something like this improves your ride!

ArdraF

Ardra, his tag line says an 1985 Vogue.  I was getting a bit worried thinking about when we might need to replace our air bags....then found his tag line.  I'm thinking maybe ours will be OK for a while..... ;D

Adun015....Good job!!!

ArdraF said:
In a previous thread "Average Life Span of Air Bags" I wondered about how long these bags last or if it's not an issue.  Guess we now know that it can be an issue.  Alan, how old is your motorhome?  Also, do you know where it's been in terms of desert heat or humidity?  Just curiosity on my part.  With all the rubber we have in RVs, we know things like belts disintegrate over time but they probably get more hard usage than the air bags so I would expect moving parts to disintegrate faster.  And, I should think if they've been in desert heat and sun they would disintegrate faster than if they were in a more humid area.

By the way, I'm glad you got this project finished.  Isn't it great when something like this improves your ride!

ArdraF

23 year old motorhome. The motorhome had not been driven in quite a while from my understanding and the bags probably leaked down. The biggest problem with the air bags is letting them set deflated from what I have been able to find out. It allows for dry rot easier. The MH was stored/kept here in N.C. around the Statesville area. I found quite a bit of rubber items that needed replacement, tires, airbags (front only rear were still holding air ), hoses & belts. Hard plastic/fibeglass had to be redone on the a/c shrouds ( no replacements to be had ) all the plumbing vents.

Marsha/CA said:
Ardra, his tag line says an 1985 Vogue.  I was getting a bit worried thinking about when we might need to replace our air bags....then found his tag line.  I'm thinking maybe ours will be OK for a while..... ;D

Adun015....Good job!!!

Correct, I don't think that these bags go bad very often. I knew I had some repairs to do but when the website was referring to 2 hours for completion of this task I think it was directed more toward the pro's. It is not impossible to do but just be prepared for a lot of tustle with them thar bags.

Marsha, thanks for picking up on that year.  Missed it!  :-[

Alan, you've had a lot of work to do.  I agree that replacing items that old would be expected.  And, it makes sense that airbags sitting unused for years would be bad.

ArdraF

Don't feel bad, Alan.  I had my air bags replaced a couple of years ago. I also bought the Firestone brand and handed them to my favorite mechanic, a really good guy.

Not knowing whether or not he had done them before, I supplied all kinds of information on how to do it, from the Web, including the 2 hour pro-hourly-rate..  Poor fellow worked on them four 4 hours and did a great job. He has a thriving business here in town and is one of the best on RV repair as well as all other cars. (Member of the Bumper to Bumper system).He did honor my 2 hour flat rate information and I have felt bad ever since.  ;)

Since he was sincere and honorable he is now getting all my work on my other 2 cars. We are friends now.
He is a 2 man shop at $55.00 per hour labor... another plus. He has all the latest computerized equipment as well.

Another item that you might look at is the rubber bushings in the torsion bar, front and back. and see if they are worn out; a rather minor repair. My old Wini now drives like a Cadillac.

carson FL

The front air bags on the P30 chassis are nothing like the air suspension bags on the typical diesel chassis, at least in terms of longevity and ruggedness.  The original (Chevy) P30 airbags are notorious for leaks or outright failure at  most any age beyond about 5 years. It was one of several substandard components that Chevrolet never bothered to re-design, even though owner experience repeatedly showed they were of poor quality.  Workhorse developed a whole new coil spring & air bag after they bought the RV chassis business from Chevrolet and post 2001 P30's seem to hold up fine. The new coil and bag design can be used on older P30 chassis as well.

ArdraF said:
Marsha, thanks for picking up on that year.  Missed it!  :-[

Alan, you've had a lot of work to do.  I agree that replacing items that old would be expected.  And, it makes sense that airbags sitting unused for years would be bad.

ArdraF

Yes it has been labor intensive, when ever the weather would permit, I still feel that I have a great MH. It is vintage and everybody is just amazed at the actual condition. I still have some interior work I want to do, recover the jacknive sofa and replace carpet. And speaking of air bags,  I have ordered a new mattress ( air with a foam topper ) from Costco. Any Costco memebers the sale on this Queen mattress via internet is great ( NovaFoam Infinite Comfort Mattress & they do have Kings on a similar deal ). Normal cost is $699.00 but they are selling them for $369.00 with shipping included. I have used the Select Comfort and have been extemely pleased with the performce in the house. The original mattress is still in the MH and is only 4" thick and heavy as the dickens. The new Air mattress is 95 lbs including the pump system.

Let's all say DARN real loud. One of the bags is leaking. I don't know yet if it is a line, valve or bag. I am going to wait until this week end when I will have time to really get into it. I already have a reaplacement line ready ( pray for me ) as this is the easy fix. If not it's pull and replace that pesky bad boy. I had a neighbor come by on day one when he saw I was working on it and offered a little help and may have pinched the bag with a vice grip. I thought I had caught him before any damage was done & when I inspected the bag it did not appear to have cut through but it did have a nice crease, probably did the bag in. Oh well all say DARN real loud.

First thing I would do is to disconnect the extension line, inflate the bag with only its own valve in place. Wait for a day or more and recheck pressure. That should eliminate any bag damage or show it.

Use a wrench/pliers to tighten all other connections, don't rely on finger-tight connections.

If the bag is ok, use soapy water to possibly find any other small leaks in the line.

I speak of experience; had the same problem. All is fine now

Good luck

carson FL

The Firestone Coilrite bag does not have a valve core connection at the bag only the actual line with a push to connect fitting installed in the bag. All the other connections are push to connect also. I am hoping that the leak is at the bag itself at the line / push to connect going in the bag. I could not hit it with my soap solution as the 90 degree connection was blocking it but once I pull it down to there I will put air in the bag and plug the end of the line and do a leak check. It also ( hoping again ) may be behind the fender at the valve connection. I was unable to get up under the fender well enough to hit that area with the solution without jacking it back up, but will do that this week-end.

I am hoping I do not have to buy another set for a stupid I SAY AGAIN, stupid mistake.

Alan, I guess they must have changed their design. I put Firestones in a couple of years ago and they had standard valves right at the bag. Gives you a choice of having lines or not.

Some things/changes are hard to understand; technology moves along...sometimes in a stupid way.

Let us know how you make out.

carson Fl

UPDATE  ???, well it turns out the bag is leaking from the internal push to connect valve. Firestone has been helpfull but it still will mean the removal of the faulty air bag, secure the RGA from Suspension Connections, send back & wait for the replacement then reinstall. Oh Joy  ::).

Now the big question, I know how sluggish it drives on the one good air bag, should I chance a couple of close ( 50 - 100 mile ) long week-end camping excursions. I have the MH ready now except a pesky leak or two around some of the windows. New mattress is ready so what is the general consensus go  ;D or stay  :'(  !!!!!!!!!!

Alan, I would take the trips but lower the pressure on the good bag to about 10 - 20lbs. That way you wont be so lopsided and also protect the good bag. IMHO

carson FL

Back
Top Bottom