Air brakes and M&G Engineering toad brake system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
I've been in contact with M&G about their system which uses a coach-mounted compressor since my rig doesn't have air brakes. Their installation/operating instructions call for draining water from the aux. air tank at least once a week. While this is not a biggey in terms of normal maintenance, I was wondering if you big boys need to do that too, or is there a water accumulator that needs less frequent draining?

Also, I know some of you have had this system installed already and am wondering how it is adjusted to your particular toad? The pedal-pushers all have a 'sensitivity' adjustment, so how does M&G do it?

Anxiously awaiting your expert asnwers 'cause theese things aren't exactly cheap (but I am) ;D  and don't want to get something that's less than adequate for my purposes.

Karl,

Our coach has automatic drains on the air tanks.  However, I do manually drain the tanks about once or twice a year.  Have never found any moisture in them when I manually drain them.  As for the rest of the M&G questions I will differ to somebody that uses the m&G system.

Karl

Those of us with diesel engines usually have air dryers in the system and automatic moisture ejector valves in the air tanks. These keep the moisture to minimum levels but those who are in more humid climates are suggested to drain their air tanks monthly.

The control head of the M&G is designed specifically for the engine and master brake cylinder it is being mounted on. When the air supply to the control head is activated by the coach braking system it acts proportionately to the pressure put on the coach brake pedal.

IMHO, you can't get a better method of toad braking. You brake the coach, you brake the toad. You coast, the toad coasts. You brake hard, the toad brakes hard. Simple.

Karl:

I used the M&G compressor on our Pace Arrow for three years and started out draining the air tank monthly and by the end was up to every 60 days or so. I never found any appreciable accumulation of water.

It always amazed me how little the compressor ran when using the system. The coach could set 2-3 weeks and the tank would still be full and while driving it MIGHT come on every couple of hours for a minute or two in heavy traffic.

Great system for hydraulic brake systems!

Karl said:
how it is adjusted to your particular toad?

Karl, in addition to Bernie's comment about the cylinder being matched to your toad, when the M&G guys installed mine they adjusted by piston to take up the slack. Took all of a few seconds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom