Air Conditioner Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rv7plt

The front AC in my 5th wheel has been tripping the circuit breaker. The voltage is good. Went on top and removed cover and told the wife to turn the AC on. The compressor and fan started right up. I watched a little while and noticed the compressor would run smooth and about every 5 seconds it would briefly shake and then smooth out (maybe that was the banging noise I had heard previously from inside the trailer). I think the compressor is shot and I will have to replace the unit. I am wondering though if it could be the relay or capacitor beginning to go bad. Any inputs appreciated

While I have a lot of electrical repair experience, I am by no means an air conditioner expert, but will offer some opinions based on what I do know. Since the compressor runs, it is very unlikely to be a capacitor but it is not expensive to replace them and you probably have both a start capacitor and a run capacitor. It is difficult to know just what you have since you haven't said what make or model the air conditioner is but replacing them is pretty easy. I can think of no relay in any air conditioner that could have anything to do with either the vibration you observed or the circuit breaker to trip. If the air conditioner has dirty cooling coils or evaporator coils, that could cause the load current to increase and possibly trip the circuit breaker. The same is true for it having damaged vanes on the coils so a comb for them is worth trying. It sounds like you probably need the assistance of someone who has at least some electrical service experience, if not RV air conditioner experience.

One thing I have found is "Crud". The condenser coils (outside) get clogged up with "Crud" and air thus can not move easily over them.. So due to the reduced air flow heat builds up in the system. with heat comes pressure. and as the pressure increases the compressor works harder and harder and harder, and the compressor is a type of motor designed to pull more amps when it works harder, and eventually CLICK goes the breaker.

MOST Air Conditioners blow. that is push air from inside the housing out through the condendser so the crud builds up on the fan side where you can not see it. Lots of screws, remove outer cover, Figure out how to remove inner cover (hopefully but not always a few more screws)

Coleman's (Air-Xcel) Suck, so the crud builds up on the outside where not only can you see it but it is a whole lot easier to get rid of. 4 Bolts. lift outer cover, peal clean replace cover 4 bolts done.

Back
Top Bottom