Airstream owners with Alde heating system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yoshi

Hi,

I know this is an odd post, but I'm looking for Airstream owners who have the Alde heating system in their RV and if corrosion in the Alde is an issue to keep an eye out for?

I have different RV manufacturer with the Alde installed and some owners have been seeing corrosion on the convectors at the pipe connection where rubber tubing is clamped on. It's hard to track if it's related to age, maintenance, use, etc.

I've searched around and don't see the corrosion issue mentioned by Airstream owners in their forums so I'm trying to gather info if it may be related to how it how one manufacturer assembles the piece parts.

Alde recently recommended a changed in the glycol type and frequency of change to minimize or eliminate the corrosion issue.

For those unfamilar, the Alde system is a hydronic heating system for cabin and water heating. It runs off either shore power or propane, is very quiet and efficient.

Thank you

The Alde system is very common in the UK on both caravans and motorhomes (travel trailers and RV's)
The manufacturer always insisted on the inhibitor being changed every service or the owner could pay for a different inhibitor that lasted around 3 years, both at extortionate prices.
At the end of the day, an RV wet system is no different than a domestic system other than the need for glycol due to the vehicle possibly being stored without heating. Components of each system are similar, aluminium, copper, plastic steel.
Are you sure the corrosion isn't from a small leak that has allowed the inhibitor to oxidize on exposed surfaces?

We have the Alde system in our T@B. It’s only a year old so no corrosion issues.

Thanks for the reply. Have you heard anything in the Airstream community about corrosion issues in the Alde system? It seems to be only happening where the rubber hoses are clamped onto the convectors. The previous 3010 Alde installation manual required the use of a sealant around the pipe before putting the rubber hose on and the clamp. The newer 3020 manual has no mention of this sealant. Wondering if the sealant is being put on?

I just did a search of the AirForum using Google and turned up several discussions, but this one seems to give more details than others. It began in January 2020.

Airstream letter about new Alde glycol - Airstream Forums

Apparently the change in fluid is to get away from the glycol based fluid to a glycerine base to reduce corrosion. I'll let you read the thread.

Here is a 50 page thread about the Alde system, more about operation and how well it works, but I think corrosion does come up in if you are inclined to read it o_O

and for your reference JC = Jackson Center = Airstream Factory

Charles

Last edited:
Thank you @CharlesinGA . I have seen that thread. But there is no discussion of any actual Airstream owners that have observed the corrosion or had to do repairs, like there is with my manufacturer. So I'm wondering what is different?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom