Almost an RV owner--a few Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrappykat

Hi,

I am seriously contemplating buying an RV---looked at a new 2007 31foot Sunseeker and the dealer dropped the price from $63,600 to $48,900.  It sounds too good to be true---is it??  Everything looked immaculate, but the gas gauge didn't work (was stuck way above full) and the A/C in the cab didn't work.  Of course the dealler said these would be fixed prior to purchase.  Is this not a good brand of RV---I'm just wondering why it's so cheap??!!  TIA!!!

Hi
I don't even own a rv yet so I'm know expert but things should be checked at the factory but sometimes they don't get checked .

I would just make sure everthing is working before you sign for.

Paul 

Thanks Paul!  It has a 12 month warrenty so I should be OK, but I guess I'm wondering if this brand, Sunseeker Forest River, is a reliable brand, if the price I'm paying is good, etc.

I am not familiar with Sunseeker or Forest River so I can't speak to the quality of the coach. At the price I'm assuming that is is a Class C. You would be much better off with a Class A, the Class C's have a bad habit of ending up leaking where the coach joins the cab, plus many are underpowered for the size of the coach.

I would also recommend that you look at some used name brand coaches instead of buying a new one. The used ones have all of the glitches worked out of them (all brands have start up problems when new) and you can get a much better quality coach for the same money.

Woody

You should get quite a bit of comment here, as more people come across your post. Meanwhile, go back to the "RV Comunity Forum" page and do a search on "Forest River."

I was going to post a link for you, but there is too much there to post. Lots of information.

Ray D  ;D

Thanks Ray and everyone!  I did do a search and not much came up for Forest River Sunseeker---maybe I'm doing something wrong?  Anyway, is it bad news about this model??  I do want to buy new because i don't want to buy someone else's problem, am picky about the condition of stuff, etc.  As far as a new one having issues, wouldn't the warrenty cover this stuff??!!  TIA for any more help you guys can give me  :)

I did do a search and not much came up for Forest River Sunseeker---maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Use the Advanced search link that's visible on every RV Forum message page. No need to go back to any other page, and don't use the Search box.

scrappykat said:
As far as a new one having issues, wouldn't the warrenty cover this stuff??!!

Technically yes, but unfortunately the RV service industry is NOT known for its efficiency and speed in factory repairs.  Ask anyone who's bought a new rig.  It's not like the auto industry where your car is in and out of the shop in 4-5 days tops.  With many dealers, if your RV comes into the shop under warranty (meaning they will make no extra money off of the repairs) it gets pushed to the absolute back of the line.  Parts to be ordered can take months or longer.  Meanwhile you're not camping, your rig is sitting there depreciating, and the warranty is continuing to "run out" while nothing is getting done.  Now that's a worst-case scenario, but it has happened enough just to people here.  Don't put too much faith in a factory RV warranty, in other words.

In the current market, oftentimes a well-maintained used unit is the way to go.  Just check some prices on Sunseekers that are 2-5 years old and see what differences are there.  As far as "someone else's problem", likely the only thing you are inheriting from that person is the payments.  ;)  Most used RV's on the market are there because folks won't/can't pay for them anymore, and rarely because they are mechanical lemons with a host of problems.  A test drive and educated inspection would turn up anything major anyway.

I would also suggest that you check the NADA book value for this unit. The NADA value is for used, but keep in mind that if this is a 2007, it is two model years old as the 2009s are coming out now. At least that will give you a starting point.

There's no question that a well-maintained, used coach is much less expensive than a new one but sometimes you just have to scratch that itch for something brand, spanking new. That was my case but the timing couldn't have been worse. I bought new last October just a few weeks before the manufacturer, National RV, locked its doors. I did get a good deal, though, because at the time a couple of industry savvy friends told me I could talk 'em down to 75% of the list price and indeed, I did. I suspect, however, that dealers are cutting their list prices to the bone right now. Anybody know the current situation of haggling for a new rig?

2009 Sunseekers are available now, so this 2007 is indeed 2 years old already from a price/value viewpoint.  If you keep it for 10 years that may make little difference, but if you wanted to sell or trade it in a year or two or three that two years of depreciation will be a huge cost to you.  The asking price probably reflects that loss of value. I'd bargain for a further discount, though, or perhaps for some additional items thrown in to sweeten the deal.

There are different models of the Sunseeker 31, e.g. 3100SS, 3160SS and gas vs diesel power. Which one are you looking at?

The Sunseeker is neither top end or bottom of the line - just one of many Class C mini-motohomes available on the market.

Thanks for all your input!!  Thought I'd update you on where I'm at.  As of right now, I don't feel comfortable buying a Sunseeker---I don't care if Warren Buffett is an owner!!  ;)  I found a new 2007 Itasca Impulse, 31 foot, on a Chevy, with everything I want and it's bottom line priced at $49,500.  I'm fairly certain this is what I will end up with.  I really don't want a used vehicle and can afford this one so hopefully it will all work out!

Sounds like you've figured it out, Scrappy. Good for you! Let us know when you take delivery and how that first cruise goes.

Sounds nice scrappykat hope it works out ok , just had a look at one on line and they do look good.

Rgards Paul

I think the Impulse is a better choice vs the Sunseeker, but am not sure the Chevy chassis is the best option. It has a couple drawbacks vs the Ford E450 chassis that is the standard chassis for the Impulse.

(1) 3500 lb towing capacity vs 5000 lb in the Ford
(2) Four speed transmission vs five speed in the Ford
(3) The 6.0L Chevy engine has slightly less torque and  horsepower

If you ever plan to tow a car (toad), the 3500 lb towing will be a distinct limitation on your choice.  As for the transmission, motorhomes need as many gears as possible to perform adequately and deliver the best fuel economy.

Thanks for your input, Gary!  We don't plan to pull anything but a medium sized fishing boat, but possibly will end up towing my Honda Fit (tiny, lightweight car), so that shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think.  We put money down on the Itasca and he dropped the price to $49,000, so hopefully we got a good deal  :-\  Will be picking the rig up on Sat. can't wait!!!!!!!

scrappykat said:
We put money down on the Itasca and he dropped the price to $49,000, so hopefully we got a good deal  :-\

You don't have to sit and wonder, it really is easy to do your own research online.  A quick run of the numbers at NADA.com show the Low Retail value on a 2007 31' Chevy Impulse  at $51,490.  High Retail is listed as $62,030.  And that's without any options added in.  Dealers usually fall somewhere in the middle of those two numbers, so for a dealer to come in right away under Low Retail should be a great deal!  Remember the rig will depreciate in value substantially in the first few years, just something that comes with buying new.  Also just because it's new, don't forget to educate yourself here and do a COMPLETE inspection and walk-through before you drive it off the lot.  Better to point out problems and ask any questions before it's technically in your hands.

Scottydl,
Thanks for the info---I really am not good at figuring out NADA as, like you said, it's w/o options, etc.  It seemed like a good deal, especially when compared to the Sunseeker (BTW, the dealer of the Sunseeker was not happy to hear that opinions aren't good on his product and tried to claim that it was coming from other manufacturers posting as consumers!!  ::) ).  Anyway, I am really happy and can't wait to tailgate (it came with a tailgate package :D), etc. in this rig.  I'm also starting to plan our first trip (after we take some shorter ones to try it out) to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone in August (we are in WI).  It's just really exciting!!!!

scrappykat said:
Thanks for the info---I really am not good at figuring out NADA as, like you said, it's w/o options, etc.

No prob!  The NADA website (regarding all the listed options) is really easy.  Leave them all blank!  The general consensus is that those numbers should not be factored into price estimates, especially on used units.  On "new" or "nearly new" ones like yours, you could put the numbers in I guess.  In your case it would only help, because it would raise the expected Retail price points and your purchase price would come in even lower than before.

Congrats on the new rig and enjoy all the upcoming RV fun that you're bound to have!  :)

Back
Top Bottom