Amarillo to GC need recommenndations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peggyy said:
To be clear, do we need to stay in holbrook to see the painted desert, petrified, or do we just drive through it with our camper attached?  Also, do we need more than a one night stop in winslow as well?  Thx.

I wouldn't consider taking an RV into those parks, so you'll want to find a spot to unhook for long enough to visit them. So a nearby overnight would be a good choice (perhaps two nights, so you could spend a whole day in the area).

Homolovi State Park is just north of Winslow and is a good base for exploring the area (Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, etc).

It's campground has water and electric in most spaces, either 30 amp or 30/50 amp, and a dump station.

https://azstateparks.com/homolovi

Peggyy said:
Wont i be seeing the meteor crater in winslow?
Meteor Crater is not in Winslow, it is near Winslow 26 miles west. I would stop in Winslow for an hour, stop at the crater for an hour and then keep on moving. There are better places to spend your vacation time.

SeilerBird said:
Meteor Crater is not in Winslow, it is near Winslow 26 miles west. I would stop in Winslow for an hour, stop at the crater for an hour and then keep on moving. There are better places to spend your vacation time.
I agree with this. 

Peggyy said:
To be clear, do we need to stay in holbrook to see the painted desert, petrified, or do we just drive through it with our camper attached?  Also, do we need more than a one night stop in winslow as well?  Thx.

We just drove through.  Took a few hours, with stops, and short hikes to see the sites.
Based on the research I did, there was no camping available
At the South entrance, probably where Seilerbird's TeePees were/are.... there area couple gift shops that had RV parking spots.

in the park, there was one side road to a scenic overlook taht was very memorable.  Now keep in mind that it was windy the day I drove through...as in strong enough gusts to through your balance off a bit when standing if you weren't braced for it...
this road edges along inches form a shear drop off....no guard rails....good times
I couldn't believe that RV's weren't restricted.  I'm afraid of heights and made it no problem.  It's a slow road, no problem. Saw others towing TT's also no problem....
the RV in this photo was parked approx this location on google map
34.936306, -109.758906
I'm glad we did it!

Attachments

• IMG_20170609_162830607.jpg
    IMG_20170609_162830607.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 14
SeilerBird said:
When I stayed at the Petrified Forest National Park I stayed in a free Indian Teepee located right at the south entrance to the park at a gift shop. I have no clue if they are still there but I cannot find them online or on Google Earth. There is no camping of RVs inside the park itself. One hour in Winslow is all you will need.

34.792947, -109.890859
I'm pretty sure that's your teepee

Thanks Brad. That is the exact location but zooming in and they don't look like teepees. That is the place I looked for them before I posted and it did not look like them. They were round and tall and cold at night. ??? I clicked on the street view and found one teepee instead of the 6 or so that used to be there.

Old_Crow said:
On I-40, by all means, hit Winslow, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Meteor Crater, but also, don't bypass Walnut Canyon.  Indian ruins built in a canyon.  Nice views from the visitors center as well as a nice walk though the ruins.

Another vote for Walnut Canyon. 

There is a lot to do around Flagstaff if you are considering staying there for a few days, if you are I can give you some other recommendations.

So if I am hearing you all right, I can stop overnight in albuqueque, then drive through painted desert and petrified forest, then stop a couple hours in winslow to see crater and corner, then stop overnight in flagstaff?  Should we go to williams for a night or just head on to GC?  We have reservations at trailer village.  Then on the way back, a couple nights in sante fe, a night in amarillo, then dallas.  Sound good?

SeilerBird said:
Sounds good. I would go straight to the canyon.
X2 but a stop in Williams would be good. It's a nice little town to stretch your legs and grab a coffee or buy aanother  Route 66 T Shirt ?

jackiemac said:
X2 but a stop in Williams would be good. It's a nice little town to stretch your legs and grab a coffee or buy aanother  Route 66 T Shirt ?
Williams is out of the way for them. Coming from the east from Flagstaff they should head north on 180 to 64. Williams is a nice little town but not really worth the effort just for a t-shirt, they are available all over the southeast.

In my view, the main reason for Williams, other than for rest or overnight, would be if you want to take the Grand Canyon Railroad -- a fun trip.

You all have been so helpful! Thx.  It is hard to plan an itinery when you are not familiar with the area or how long each attraction will take timewise.  Our main goal is the GC but we certainly want to see a few other sites along the way.  It is a long drive from orlando and we only have three weeks.

I have done that drive twice and it takes me five days just to get from Orlando to the Grand Canyon. My suggestion is to get there is quickly as possible and then take a leisurely drive home. The Grand Canyon is one of the seven wonders of the world and it is well worth taking time to explore. It is much better than anything you will pass on the way to and from the canyon.

Peggyy said:
You all have been so helpful! Thx.  It is hard to plan an itinery when you are not familiar with the area or how long each attraction will take timewise.  Our main goal is the GC but we certainly want to see a few other sites along the way.  It is a long drive from orlando and we only have three weeks.

I posted a summary of the Western part of our GC trip earlier....
but I'll add this
When we did it, purposely winged it a good bit.  I had done tons of research for points of interest along the primary route.  roadtrippers.com is a great tool for that.  In our case, my wife is all about "city stops".  She loves to explore new cities...museums, shopping, etc.., so my research focused a lot on that.  I came up with a route and a loose itinerary of activity choices.  My loose plan going in was GC as the mid-trip anchor and I wanted smaller 1/4 trip destinations as sort of "zero days"...one half way there and the other half way back.  Those were harder and didn't really materialize for us.

We were very tight on time, with only slightly less than three weeks to do it so we were trying to make miles a lot.  Also trying to not spend a mint on expensive overnighters so willing to do a bit of boondocking at walmart or similar.  Allstays.com is great for that (found out the android app is no longer being updated).  Allstays also really helped us with working around a few uncertain and unscheduled days....

Winging it to a degree really helped our adventure.  We made several stops that weren't exactly planned.  Worked out well to be able to adjust mid-trip.

the one thing I learned though is that I'm good for approx 2 nights in a row boondocking in places like walmart, but after that I need a CG.  I find that I don't rest as well and CG's help me relax and recharge. 

The other 'issue' I had which really wasn't a surprise...  I'd prefer to make a plan enroute so that we have a place in mind to stop for the night...before I start getting tired.  My wife isn't much of a planner/navigator so she couldn't do a very good job while I was rolling.  Made for a grouchy me a few nights.... (see my earlier post about Durango, CO).  That was interesting because the way it fell together we were there for a bit of exploring before dinner.  If we had wasted the time to find a place to park for the night BEFORE we explored and ate, we probably would not have seen Durango.  As it was, with the info we had on hand we were comfortable that we could stop at the walmart there, or find something else.... oh well.

jackiemac said:
Another vote for Walnut Canyon. 

There is a lot to do around Flagstaff if you are considering staying there for a few days, if you are I can give you some other recommendations.

Yes please give me a reason to stop in flagstaff?  It seems so close to the GC. 

Hi Peggyy,

You could stop at the Lowell Observatory. This is the place where Pluto was discovered and Percival Lowell thought he saw Martian's building canals on Mars. If you head out east on I40 (not real far from Flagstaff) you can visit Meteor Crater. Somewhat of a tourist trap but truly a great site to see.

Back
Top Bottom