American Tow Dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

I found a bunch of info with the search. Just wondering if this company still in business? I just bought one from a neighbor, learning the system now. I have a brake controller in my Silverado so don't need the EZ Brake. I removed it. Right now troubleshooting the left running light/brake light. Hope the issue is just in the connector. I have already rewired one tow dolly, hoping not to do another. With the light, thought it might be a ground, already cleaned it. I removed the bulb ond noticed the 2 filament bulb was replaced with a single. The right siide is fine. More to come, heading out to mess with it now.

Got the lighting all set, now to troubleshoot the electric brakes. I had my wife put her foot on the brake pedal, and the wheel I had in the air would still spin. I will try the compass trick next.

Got the number off my tow dolly answered right away with info I needed. Their website has expiored cert, so my browser won't even open it.

Looking at complete replacement of the brakes etc, for $120 Dexter that bolt on, everything new. I found that this dolly was made pre 99 because of a feature that was changed. Thinking complete replacement better than waiting for parts, then parts.

Realized I titled the thread wrong, the compny is American Car Dolly. They are in business, but their certificate has expired and I can't load on this computer, I can on my other one.

Yesterday I installed new electric brakes, so it is now ready for the road. I spoke with Gary the other day and he was helpful. Hate to call again, he sounded busy. I was hoping to figure out the year of manufacture.

I repacked bearings yesterday, a task I have not done for quite a long time. There seems to be no way not to get it ll over you. I used a bearing packer, but still all over.

It is like it can jump! Not my favorite thing to do. But it has the Bearing Buddy on so, Future greasing can be done via a Zert.

Anyone with a dolly? Where do you carry a spare tire? Mine came with a spare, but no idea where to carry it? I guess I could put it in the trunk of the car, but not easy. Not much room to mount on tongue. Ideas?
Right now it is at home doing no good at all.

Anyone with a dolly? Where do you carry a spare tire? Mine came with a spare, but no idea where to carry it? I guess I could put it in the trunk of the car, but not easy. Not much room to mount on tongue. Ideas?
Right now it is at home doing no good at all.
I just carry mine in the vehicle being towed.

Watch several car dolly youtube videos. Learn how to safely load and unload. Get non stretching cargo basket straps for tires/wheels for easy installation. Tighten straps as much as possible. Check strap tightness after 5-6 miles of starting out and again in about 100 miles. Then check as often as you might stop for fuel, to eat, etc. Keep wheel bearings greased. Lugs should be checked often for tightness. Tire pressure at 50-60 lbs. Mount spare tire on the tongue bar leading to the hitch. Suggest adding a folding crank tongue lift with wheel. Lock the hitch to ball. Use chains attached to dolly pan area to wrap around front of car axles for additional safety. NEVER try to detached dolly from RV with car on the dolly. Hope your dolly has brakes. Add brakes lights and turn signals if not equipped. Safety chains between tongue and MH hitch. Be careful not to let a dolly wheel drop off roadway; could cause loss of control. If dolly pan swivels, make certain the large nut/bolt is tight. Make certain toad rear tire pressure is correct and tires are in good shape. Tow speed is usually recommended at 55mph. I try not to tow above 60 mph. Do not set parking brake on front wheel drive cars. Hope this helps.

One of my earlier replies I mentioned replacing brakes, lights bearings etc. 60 is my preferred speed with any RV. I even have an IR therm to check bearing temps. i suppose I could put tire in the trunk of the car, better than being in my shed if I need it. My dolly has the removable ramps and store on the tongue, have to measure and see if there is room.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom