American Tradition leaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarabelle

Hello gents.  Recently, my 2003 American Tradition began occasionally (and loudly) bleeding of air somewhere outside of the front passenger side of the coach as I go down the road.  Sounds like an air tank bleeding off.  When I parked the last time, I noticed that the coach was leaning to one side a bit (on level cement).  Could I have a problem with one of the bags?  I also don't know why it just started with the air bleeding at the front of the coach.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
???

Sounds to me like the ride height  valve may be leaking.  American Coach has an excellent tech help desk and give excellent support.  Can you hear the air leaking while parked with the engine running?  You may be able to get an idea where it is coming from. Let us know if the air bleeding off noise can also be heard while stopped.

Yes, it could be the valve leaking and not the bag.  Someone may have to get underneath the coach while it's leaking and find the source.

Ned said:
Yes, it could be the valve leaking and not the bag.  Someone may have to get underneath the coach while it's leaking and find the source.

That might be best left to the professional since clearance may be marginal if the bags deflate while under the coach unless proper safety precautions are taken.

Absolutely, don't crawl under there unless the coach is properly jacked up and on stands, or over a pit.  Especially with a leak in the air bag system :)  If you don't know what to do, then get a mechanic that's familiar with the system to check it out.

I'm with Ron on the ride height valve.  Had mine replaced on our American Dream because they are known to break.  It would be a Spartan issue if your chassis is Spartan, and if you are at a rally, they will generally replace them free.

Absolutely, don't crawl under there unless the coach is properly jacked up and on stands, or over a pit.  Especially with a leak in the air bag system

No matter how hard you try to push up, if the motorhome is coming down on you while your underneath, you won't be strong enough to hold it up!  Get a professional mechanic to check it for you.

Steve said:
No matter how hard you try to push up, if the motorhome is coming down on you while your underneath, you won't be strong enough to hold it up!   Get a professional mechanic to check it for you.

Yep it would be very difficult to take a breath of air with a 32,000 lb motorhome resting on your chest. :mad:

Ned said:

Ned:

On our Freightliner chassis you can reach the front ride height valves by turning the wheel as sharply as possible to the opposite side that you want to check. On our Nuway there are two valves on the front and one on the rear; many are one front and two rear).

Jeff, good tip.  I've never looked for mine so will have to check that sometime.  Can you access the front air bags that way too?

I am not sure whether it leaks air when stopped.  I will check that out.  It really sounds more like a valve "releasing" pressure as opposed to a leak.  Either way, I will definitely NOT be getting under it! I will take her into the shop and let them check out the ride height valve and bags.  Thanks for the help.  You guys are always great resources.  I will let you know the verdict.

Ok, that's different.  You may be hearing the air system bleeding off as the pressure hits the upper limit.  This is normal for air brake systems.  Are you sure it's on the front passenger and not the rear?  That's where the relief valve would be on a diesel pusher.

On ours there is a small muffler device on the ride height valve and if that  comes off then it will become more noticable when the valve releases pressure while doing it job.  However, if this is the case the coach would still set level while stopped.

Ned said:
Jeff, good tip.  I've never looked for mine so will have to check that sometime.  Can you access the front air bags that way too?

Yes, mine are right inside the spindle.

Our ride height is operated by three air valves.  The center valve is the exhaust air valve and will dump air when the piston gets sticky and does not return to the neutral poisition and will deflate the air bag when the coach is shut down. While the coach was running we could hear air escaping but the bag stayed up if the engine was running fast enough but at idle it would allow the bag to stat to deflate. (Happened to us last year in MT.)

Back
Top Bottom