Another AC question(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemc53

OK, this just started acting up, today. Have the dual roof air with a DuoTherm Comfort Control thermostat. The front (zone 1) unit is now wanting to run almost continuously even though the outside temperature is only in the upper 70's. The rear unit (zone 2) works fine. It is set at 74 and comes on, runs for a short time and shuts off. The temp in the back of the coach stays nice and even. The front one runs on and on and the coach gets very cold even though we set thermostat all the way up to 80 - I eventually just shut it off.

Until this morning all was right with the AC but now I don't know if it is an AC issue, a thermostat issue, or something else.

Thoughts?

2004 HR Vacationer 37PCT

Where is the temperature sensor for the front located?  Perhaps it is getting reflected sunlight, etc. 

You could also spray the sensor with  cold air which should turn off the air conditioning. 

I would be curios to know if the ac immediately starts up when you turn it back on.

If you can find a way to turn the ac unit on independent from the comfort control, this could give you enough information to blame the ac or the control. A quick way would be to disconnect power to the comfort control but leave the ac unit powered. If the unit does not run it will most likely be the comfort control. If it does continue to run it would be more likely the ac control board but still could be the comfort control. Disconnecting the comfort control from the ac unit would give you the final answer.

Have you tried turning up the comfort control temperature to see if at any point the unit shuts down ?

It appears to be the sensor, which is in a bad spot right under the front TV cabinet and very close to the windshield. Closing the drapes helps but I think i will put some reflectix up. Any easy way to move the sensor? The wires all all hidden so I would expect it might get a little touchy.

Speaking of A/Cs.. My Advent as I mentioned earlier has been tripping the breaker when the compressor restarts. Adding a hard start cap improved it but today (Before they turned on the giant outdoor broiler) I got up on the roof and popped in a new Start Cap (Replaced the OEM)
The new one is physically a bit different and unless I miss my guess higher quality.

I transfered the hard start kit to the new cap as well.

But  IT is now the coolest it has EVER been in this RV under the current weather conditions
I can barely hear the compressor kick in (Used to be very noticable)  I know it is running because if I listen real close I can hear it. but I really got to listen.

Oh am I happy with this upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom