Another advice on what to buy.....but with a twist. What would you do/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Travel Trailers and Motorhomes are not made to live in. The rigors of daily occupation take a toll on all of your rigs systems.

When you are ready to head out in your rig, you want all of your systems as ready as they can be so you have less chance of failure on the road.

The rig you want for her to live in is not the one you want to adventure in. Buy 2 rigs.

If I was in your situation I would buy cheap throw away when you are done with it camper for the daughter. However, since you are maintaining your home, I  suggest prior to parking whatever you get for your daughter is make a permanent RV parking space with all the amenities to include an over head shelter. Make sure the shelter will accommodate your new RV.

At the appropriate time make your RV purchase bring it home get used to it, take a few trips. When you are ready to leave the house sitting to your daughter get rid of her camper, move her in your house, you guys take off for the highway to heaven. All is good.

Now when you decide to come home for a bit you will have a place to park and maintain your RV.

Come 19 October this year DW and I are going to hit that highway ourselves.

If I had it to do all over again:

1. I'd by a used TT with the amenities I wanted and see how it went from there; you might want bigger, smaller, more slides, no slides, etc. and selling a lower end TT is easier and comes at less of a loss than a MH (on average).

2. You say you won't let her live in the house but you'd let her live in the camper?  Not sure why and I don't need to know but if she'd trash your house, she'll trash the camper.  Maybe that's not the reason; if so, ignore.

My youngest daughter was 30, single, pregnant, and 600 miles away. She couldn't work for several months and never could manage money. Rather than letting her live in our MH it was better for us to pay her rent directly to her landlord and give her a small food allowance till she could work again. We had an understanding there was a hard cut off date and she would have to find her own way after that. The main thing was once she moved in we would have a hard time telling her to leave and would create lot of bad feelings between us. Kids nowadays are living with their parents until the parents have to kick them out. This way she is eternally grateful for our help and has not asked for another dime. It was worth every cent.

I'd say sound advice when someone is looking for money....if you give it to them there are no guarantees they'll spend it on what they should.  In fact, there's a scam folks are running now where they carry a gas can, say they ran out of gas and need $10-$20.  Offer to drive them to the gas station and you'll fill it up for them...they won't take it.  Hmmm....

I have no idea at all if this will be useful, but we just got back from 4 days working in the Keys (not RV related) and were astonished by all the RVs, of every kind, sitting on lots, very clearly waiting to be sold. (Editing to add, this was all the way along Highway 1, from Key Largo to Key West.) They weren't in dealership lots, or storage lots (some were, many weren't), they were just sort of parked, for example, in back areas of car repair garages and the like. It was obvious they weren't awaiting repair. I do wonder if you could get an old TT that's usable as a stationary home for your daughter. Husband and I kept saying, "Geez, I'll be they'd get rid of THAT one for next to nothing just to get it off their lot."

I know it's Florida, and maintenance is tough here under the best of circumstances, but from what we saw there are a LOT of RVs that need serious cleaning up, but could be the right thing at the right price. 

Many snowbirds store their RV's in Florida during the off season. One of our regular winter stops has many more stored units for the summer than they have active guests.

Keep in mind that south Florida seems to be where a lot of RV's go to die, and many of those roadside RV's likely have extensive (often hidden)  water damage and associated rot due to setting for prolonged periods without upkeep.  In other words for a lot of them they should be paying you to haul the RV away.

SusanV said:
I have no idea at all if this will be useful, but we just got back from 4 days working in the Keys (not RV related) and were astonished by all the RVs, of every kind, sitting on lots, very clearly waiting to be sold. (Editing to add, this was all the way along Highway 1, from Key Largo to Key West.) They weren't in dealership lots, or storage lots (some were, many weren't), they were just sort of parked, for example, in back areas of car repair garages and the like. It was obvious they weren't awaiting repair. I do wonder if you could get an old TT that's usable as a stationary home for your daughter. Husband and I kept saying, "Geez, I'll be they'd get rid of THAT one for next to nothing just to get it off their lot."

I know it's Florida, and maintenance is tough here under the best of circumstances, but from what we saw there are a LOT of RVs that need serious cleaning up, but could be the right thing at the right price.

I'll bet a lot of those RVs were brought in as temporary housing after Hurricane Irma.

The FEMA trailers are usually readily identifiable - more like park models than RVs (e.g. no water tanks).

The other phenomenon is snowbirds who RV to Florida and decide to stay. After living in the RV for awhile, they get a condo or manufactured home and put the RV up for sale.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
.... snipped

The other phenomenon is snowbirds who RV to Florida and decide to stay. After living in the RV for awhile, they get a condo or manufactured home and put the RV up for sale.

Yes we just did that, although in Florida, our new to us manufactured home unit is still registered as 2 trailers but without license plates, at least it is in Collier county. I was a bit surprised!

Back
Top Bottom