Another cooling unit - long story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately their 2 year failure rate is rather high according to my friend who owns an RV restoration and repair business. 

Now that we no longer boondock for 10 days at a time every year we'll probably go with a residential when the time comes.

The RV community swallowed that "Amish built quality" advertising shmaltz hook, line and sinker. RVers everywhere were proclaiming that Norcold and Dometic "crap" ought to be replaced with an Amish cooling unit (even if it hadn't failed yet), long before anybody had much field use experience to justify any enhanced quality claim. Now the repairs bills are starting to come in and the tune is changing.

In fairness to the cooling unit, I have seen reports that show evidence of sloppy installs by mediocre RV techs too. A ham-fisted installer can make a hash out of the finest piece of equipment.

Note: Poor installation was definitely NOT the case with Ned's Amish C.U. Paul Unmack is a fully qualified engineer with years of absorption fridge expertise and meticulous to the point of obsession!

My first email from the manufacturer mentioned a possible weld crack, so this may be a known problem with earlier units.  Hopefully, it has been corrected in the current units.  They also did not want the old unit back, so they apparently don't bother with remanufacturing.

Back
Top Bottom