Another Generator Problem to Diagnose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bjwinspect

Today while exercising  my generator everything was going fine.... I had two 1200 watt heaters and a vacuum cleaner going when it suddenly stopped producing power.  On the generator there are  2 breakers, one had tripped..  The others breaker supplies power to the rear AC unit which also did not have any power.  Reseting the breaker did not restore power.
The generator motor is running fine.. so not related to fuel, low oil, etc.
When plugged into shore, I have power... so its not the main breaker.
I think the transfer switch does not control the power to the rear AC.(the transfer switch energizes the circuits in motor home a few seconds after the generator runs... the rear AC has power immediately after the generator starts)  So I don?t think it is the transfer switch
I had a voltage monitor plugged and it was showing about 110 volts before it went off, which is low, but I thought was about normal with it being under a load.
I am thinking it has to be a problem with circuit board, voltage regulator, or something else with the electronics inside the generator.
I have a extra circuit board... I can try it tomorrow...  I have read some about testing a voltage regulator by checking voltage at pins on the connector... I do not fully understand doing this, and will need to look more into it.
Anyone have any insight or experience on what would cause a breaker to trip, loss of power after breaker is reset?

What is the make and model of the generator? It runs so is producing power, otherwise the engine would shut down, so there has to be a problem downstream. Look for  loose or corroded connections

Double check, trip and reset the breakers on the generator, they are the most common fault that would cause this to happen.

::)  I hate to admit it.... yesterday when I had one of the two breakers trip .. instead of turning that tripped one on.. I turned the ?on ? one off... so I had no power at either.. and convinced I had a problem  :(    I took the cover plate off, tested for voltage at breakers.. and then realized that I had power going into the beaker what I had done!  Took me about 2 minutes today to figure it out.

I am glad that is all it was... but not to bright on my part!

At least I did not take it to a repair facility!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom