Another wireless offering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I saw this mentioned online somewhere else and thought I'd take a peek at it: http://www.clearwire.com/index.html

I can't figure out how this might be any different than any of the various wireless options other than it uses an external "wireless modem" (their term) for RX/TX to/from the a tower rather than an air card or cell phone. As we saw in a recent topic here, some air card services are reaching high speeds.

It's not clear what part of the radio spectrum ClearWire is using, but I don't believe it's WiFi.  Only available in 11 states for now too.  Interesting in that their order page is a broken link :)  Certainly not suitable for travellers.

Tom,

It's nothing more or less than a radio transmitter/receiver, similar to a WAP or WI-FI setup. Interestingly, the link to the "chech availablility for your area" is broken :p Also, their claim of "Always secure" is somewhat misleading; anyone can pick up a radio signal.

It's cellular - one of the "new" services cropping up that re-sells cellular data using one of the big cellular networks. Could be Verizon, Altel or Spring- it's not clear which.  That means you only get broadband speeds in some areas - other places will fall back to 144 kbps max.

From the Clearwire website:

"Clearwire uses a state-of-the-art wireless modem that can be plugged into a desktop computer, laptop, or local network. It works by transmitting signals to and from nearby cellular towers instead of using a traditional phone line."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom