AntiSway Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkInNC

I have a very small, (and light), RV and want to install an anti-sway bar.  I have towed a lot of boats over the years but never an RV and I have no experience with anti-sway bars.  Taking a look at the unit I see that it is a very simple device.  My first question involves where to mount the trailer end of the new bar.  With the bar attached the rig will become limited in tis ability to turn.  Obviously this will not be an issue when underway as there is more than enough travel for normal turns.  How do I go about figuring out the mid turning point to establish a mount point on the trailer tounge.  And, the second qusetion involves use of the bar.  Do I remove/disconnect the bar when manuvering during parking?

thanks,

Mark

If you are talking about a friction anti-sway bar.. The instructions tell you where to mount the trailer end of the thing (it has been long enough that I forget how they said to do it.

As for unhooking it when backing up.. They say to do it. I never did

Mark,

Are you using an adjustable ball mount? That's the point where the front of a friction anti-sway bar will attach to the mini ball. The trailer end mini ball should be mounted 24" from the center of the ball cup on the tongue. Be sure to read the directions since you may not have the same bar with which I am familiar.

YES, you should remove the anti-sway bar anytime you are going to back up into a site or into your yard. Otherwise you might tear off the mount if the tow vehicle jack knifes too much.

MarkInNC said:
I have a very small, (and light), RV and want to install an anti-sway bar. 

How small and how light?  There are anti-sway systems that do not use the friction bars and do not have its limitations.

Back
Top Bottom