Any Bikers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been riding for over 40 years and I will ride till the end, there is nothing like riding to experience whats out there.
The statements/question on "it is to expensive" should probably be looked at for the real cost such as, yea I paid big money for my HD's but they resell for much more also. So what is the real costs? Ride an HD for 5 years and sell for almost what you paid for it or sell the other kind of bikes for way less than you paid? This scenario applies to our RV's also. But ride/drive what you want, the variety of the people and rides/RV's is the spice of life?!!

I know my Milwaukee Iron will be in the "garage" of my toy-hauler...off'n on...when I'm not riding it.

I ride a 2003 Goldwing 1800cc with ABS.  It's my 6th Goldwing in 20 years.  We live 6 months in Hadley, NY (in the Adirondack mountains) and 6 months in San Benito, TX (hometown of Freddie Fender).  We haul the bike between locations in the back of my pickup with the help of a motorcycle loader made by Overtbilt Lifts.  We have made a couple of cross country trips on this bike and the comfort is awesome.  ABS is a feature I would insist on in any new touring motorcycle I would buy.  My wife's daughter sells Harleys and we will test ride one next summer.

The Honda "Goldwing" shaft drive is tried and true. It's a great design, very reliable and a very comfortable road bike. The center of gavity is abit higher then I prefer...but it's a personal taste thing. It would be interesting to see a custom bike manufactured with this engine. 

Even though I am partial to Harley's it is rumored that their ABS is the worst on the market. Might want to check it out to see if it is just a rumor or may have worked the bugs out! Have see several chops made from wings, it puts the imagination to work for sure. Just a matter of taste. Some look good some look kinda goofy.

IMO I think the most important feature is fit and matching to how you want to ride. I am partial to Harley's also but have rode many a Honda also. If you're looking for cross country then go for the Ultra or Goldwing, etc. The larger front end, better suspension and higher hp/weight ratio come in handy on the freeway but these bikes weigh a bit more also. If this is for just around town, 200 mi & back home for the night then a lot more options open up. If just local then usually lighter is better. I know you are not planning on carrying it but a 90 deg day in stop & go traffic from light to light will make you feel every bit of that extra 100+ lbs on the larger bike.
Sit on your choice and make sure your arms/legs are in a comfortable riding position with joints relaxed (not outstretched & locked). Make sure both feet are flat on the ground when straddling the seat and take it for a ride to see how it feels. If you lean towards Harley go for the 2002 or later with the twin cam B for less vibes. Good luck.

Maverick...Write On

Great advice when figuring out what kind motorcycle to purchase.

Catblaster...ABS...are you referring to the brakes or the suspension? I s'pose I will need to find a "chopped" magazine to see the custom wings. I certainly don't see many of them on the road. I've also thought the 750 would look good chopped. I purchased a 72 Honda 750 new and put over 100K trouble free miles on the bike. The only thing I didn't care for was the high center of gravity. The inline four cylinders was a smooth vibration free ride. Quick too as I remember...

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.

I have been riding and racing atv's since I was a kid (not THAT long ago) but I have relatively little experience on a street bike.  I did own a 1991 Yamaha Virago 750 for a summer a few years ago but ended up selling it to buy my wifes engagement ring.

As much as I would like to own and ride a Harley, at this point in my life they are just a little far out of my reach financially.  I have sat on a few Vulcan Nomads and they fit me nicely.  I'm about 6'1" and 200 lbs.  Needless to say, that Virago was a tad small.

Was referring to their ABS brakes. I also had a 750, 76 SS. It was built on their new chassis, ran like a burnt butt ape but had a teeth jarring vibration around 65 probably due to my exhaust. Ex wife filled oil tank with sand and it still survived.

One other important recommendation I would have to any MC riders is to take a course like this before you start back again on the street. http://www.pugetsoundsafety.com/  This is the course in Western WA but they have similar in other states. You can get your MC endorsement through them (they supply the MC) and if already endorsed then it's worth the discount on your insurance. I have been riding over thirty years, over 30k miles on my last Harley and just took the advance course again with DW (she rides a Fatboy, a HD - not me). It's a good refresher and will definitely help you to stay alive. Most MC fatalities happen close to home, not on freeways at high speed. The odds are against you to begin with, this course helps to level the playing field. Ride safe.

Lone Star...If your heart is set on a Harley...then git a Harley that you can afford. They are out there. It's just a matter of having the patience and taking the time to look. Shop...buy a couple copies of "Motorcycle Wheels" or whatever monthly magazine that publishes motorcycles for sale. Go online and shop. Go to different dealerships and sit on some bikes and git familiar with how they "feel" and how much bike (age, mileage, condition, extra goodies) your dime will buy, then keep shopping and wait for the GREAT deal to show up. If you take the time to go through this process, you will become very clear about what you like/want and can afford. So when that one "special" bike pops up (and it will when you are ready) at a steal deal price...you will KNOW it and you won't have any hesitation or vacillation when it comes to buying it.

Catblaster...daaaaaaaang!!! Jus goes to show they're bullet proof.

I've also thought the 750 would look good chopped. I purchased a 72 Honda 750 new and put over 100K trouble free miles on the bike. The only thing I didn't care for was the high center of gravity.
Time, I do remember some of the old 750's chopped and there was one last year at Sun N Surf. Was nice to see one again. Of course back then it was nothing special, no more than the hemi roadrunners and other things we took for granted! I used to own a 1974 750 K model, a real blast but you are right about the high center!
[quoteEx wife filled oil tank with sand and it still survived. ][/quote]
I must of missed that the first read, it is so wrong. Brings a tear to my eye.

I have sat on a few Vulcan Nomads and they fit me nicely.
Lone, hope we've given you some ideas without hijacking your thread. When you find your Vulcan post the details and we'll see if we can come up with any other ideas. Have fun.

Maverick...

"it is so wrong. Brings a tear to my eye."

...ya still miss her huh? Sounds like you've still got some lingering regrets...(dark humor anna grin)

Till the next "Time"...

lone_star_dsl said:
Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.

I have been riding and racing atv's since I was a kid (not THAT long ago) but I have relatively little experience on a street bike.  I did own a 1991 Yamaha Virago 750 for a summer a few years ago but ended up selling it to buy my wifes engagement ring.

As much as I would like to own and ride a Harley, at this point in my life they are just a little far out of my reach financially.  I have sat on a few Vulcan Nomads and they fit me nicely.  I'm about 6'1" and 200 lbs.  Needless to say, that Virago was a tad small.

Lone Star... The Nomad is an excellent bike for the money.  I really enjoyed my '00 (it had a very classic look and the handling and reliability was excellent to boot.

I strongly recommend tha you find a MSF Riders course before you get much farther into stret riding.  As you may remember, motorcycles handle way different from your average three or four wheeler ATV.  it can also save you a few bucks on insurance AND make getting your state endorsement easier. 

IMHO If you want a bike for an investment or status, then Harley is the choice, if you want it for price and dependability, try one of the Japanese models.  I chose the latter and ride the Honda VTX 1800C, stock 105 hp -0-108 in 12 sec. but mine is chipped and has competition pipes and does a little better than that.  Wayne

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mreberle
Back
Top Bottom