Anyone able to tell me around when this Master Tow dolly was made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwninAnOnan

I picked up this tow dolly for cheap, it was in pretty rough shape (but it came with brand new tires!) but I'm fixing it up. Paint it once the weather gets warm, anyway. Only marking I can find on it is this very worn off "MASTER TOW" sticker. I was hoping to find a number stamped into it somewhere but this is all I got. It seems quite old and looked like it was in the woods for 20 years before it got dragged out and sold to some idiot (me). I'm guessing its from the 90's? Could be older then that.

_O_kVlZnPvbNKE6xlEUw8VGGn_O47VyeAkXnUsLa5sKI4RcBvRcWRq1P-Dc5R_A_u4xsYQVjC2hEQA05aRFuxZnOFybmlH...jpg

Attachments

• dolly 1.JPG
    dolly 1.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
There should be a VIN or serial number on it. Personally I would take it and have it bead blasted, then a thorough inspection followed by a paint job if it proves to be useable.

I picked up this tow dolly for cheap, it was in pretty rough shape (but it came with brand new tires!) but I'm fixing it up. Paint it once the weather gets warm, anyway. Only marking I can find on it is this very worn off "MASTER TOW" sticker. I was hoping to find a number stamped into it somewhere but this Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox is all I got. It seems quite old and looked like it was in the woods for 20 years before it got dragged out and sold to some idiot (me). I'm guessing its from the 90's? Could be older then that.

View attachment 151988
does it have a serial number ?

I checked mine and did not find a S/N.

Not much on these to worry about and are easy to refurbish. The most important item is checking for rust inside the main tube to the hitch. I used a cheap bore-scope from Amazon. The base is held on by a large grade 8 bolt and some plastic washers to allow turning of the tire platform. Any parts you need can be found on the manufactures website (also the manual). New straps are a must. Go with originals from the builder.

Be careful who you call an idiot, lol. No idea about age, personally I would roller on Rustoleum oil based paint, great stuff. I am not savvy with tow dollies, but does this have brakes? I thought most of them had hydraulic or electric brakes.

Tow dollys aren't considered vehicles and usually don't have a VIN, nor do most states require title & tags for them. Probably was a serial number at one time, tho, likely on that decal that is mostly gone. Brakes were not standard equipment in years gone by and are still an option on low-end models, but most now have either electric or surge type braking. You can use a Brake Buddy or similar in the car in lieu of dolly brakes.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it. New wheel bearings, some wire brushing and/or sanding, and lather on the Rustoleum. Plus you will need to buy the basket strap tie-downs (with ratchets) to strap the car to the dolly. You can get from Master Tow, of buy on Ebay or Amazon. They come in sizes based on tire size.

You can contact Master Tow via their website.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t you need license plate, tail lights and brake lights if towing after dark without a vehicle on it?

Wouldn’t you need license plate, tail lights and brake lights if towing after dark without a vehicle on it?
In Arkansas a dolly doesn't require a tag. Neither did the little 4x4 Harbor Freight trailer I used to tow behind my Harley. The dolly I had did have lights, but ordinarily you'd put tow lights on the car when you loaded it. My dolly actually had a sort of piggy-back 4 pin connector that allowed you to plug it into the tow vehicle and also plug a set of those magnetic tow lights into the same connector.

If you use it in GA, you will need all of the above. Any trailer without a license plate on the roads in GA is subject to be impounded and/or confiscated.

Wouldn't the dolly in GA be subject to the rules of the state the TV is registered? I live in AZ, my truck is registered in AZ, AZ does not require or issue tags for tow dollies, if I were to drive through GA, I don't believe I could be issued a ticket for not having something not required by my state. When I lived in FL I towed my car on the dolly thru GA a few times with no tag.

I had a Demco, a Master Tow and now an American Car Dolly and none have had a VIN. Serial numbers yes, the current one is done with an arc welder by hand on the tongue.

Lights are easy to add, the kit comes with wiring. I would do that at the least. Hope you didn't pay too much for the dolly.

Wouldn't the dolly in GA be subject to the rules of the state the TV is registered? I live in AZ, my truck is registered in AZ, AZ does not require or issue tags for tow dollies, if I were to drive through GA, I don't believe I could be issued a ticket for not having something not required by my state. When I lived in FL I towed my car on the dolly thru GA a few times with no tag.

I had a Demco, a Master Tow and now an American Car Dolly and none have had a VIN. Serial numbers yes, the current one is done with an arc welder by hand on the tongue.

Lights are easy to add, the kit comes with wiring. I would do that at the least. Hope you didn't pay too much for the dolly.
A person that I knew bought a boat and trailer in SC, and attempted to tow it home to AL to tag and Title it. A small County Sheriff's deputy pulled him over on the Interstate and confiscated the boat and trailer for not having a tag. He had a SC Bill of sale and his AL address on the BOS, but the deputy said you can't pull a trailer through GA without a tag. I don't know the exact state law or how it is applied, but this is an example of what can happen.

We use a tow dolly, live in Texas. No tag or title required. We traveled twice to Wisconsin and back, never had an issue with LEO, lights on the dolly are sufficient, no need to add extra on the rear of the toad.

If anyone is interested, this is what a Brake Buddy looks like.

Attachments

• brake buddy.jpg
    brake buddy.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 4
Why would a brake buddy have anything to do with a tow dolly? Not sure if they would be good to use in that situation, being pulled back from against the straps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardp
Back
Top Bottom