Anyone driven through the tunnels at Colorado National Monument? I have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stillRV

I'm going to be staying at the campground in Colorado National Monument soon. There are 3 tunnels on the drive through. If I enter through the West side I will only have to go through one tunnel to reach the campground. The clearance on the edge is 10'5", in the center it is 16 feet. My Class C is 11'6" to the top of the air conditioner. So probably 11' on the sides.

I have seen pictures of Class Cs at this campground. So I guess people must just drive through the center of the tunnel? I am pretty new to RVing, only driven about 2000 miles in this rig. I'm worried about encountering someone going too fast from the other direction and getting into an argument in the middle of the tunnel about who has to back up.

Tunnel info:Tunnels - Colorado National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Campground info (only restriction listed is 40ft length): Camping - Colorado National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

1664728496208.png

I have driven my TT through there, I stopped before the tunnel and had my wife walk through and stop any oncoming traffic, and yes, most if not all drive through the center.

Your AC unit is probably closer to 12 inches high. Just measure the distance from the ground to the highest side wall point. Hopefully your antenna folds down. Some of the omni-directional antennas are mounted close to the edge of the roof.

Well I was able to get through no problem, when I got the ranger station he told me the tunnels are actually 11.5 feet on the sides, not 10.5 as it says on the website. I hugged the center line and had plenty of clearance. Good thing too, because a jeep came flying in from the other direction, way too fast, a little over the center line. We probably would have collided if I had been in the middle. There is a curve before the tunnel so you can't see what's inside. This guy was an idiot going way too fast in a National Park.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom