Anyone extend bed platform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olustee bus

We have a short queen in our class c and the mattress extends maybe one foot or near that over the end of the bed platform. I have considered extending that so that only about 3 inches overhang. I plan on using folding shelf brackets in case I want to drop it down. Those brackets will easily handle any weight (such as me sitting on end of the bed) that it may encounter.

With such an extension, you can still maneuver with your feet under the bed.

Anyone.

Our previous unit had an 8" extension that was just matching plywood thickness and a piano hinge and it worked fine. Just flip it up when putting the slide in and as far as support for sitting it wasn't a problem because we sit back more than 8" so I say go for it.

Our mattress supports casual sitting when extended 8" with no problem. I had planned on extension as mentioned by JW but decided it wasn't worth the effort/cost/weight. Mattress is a Denver Madison plush so fairly rigid.

The platform under our bed is hinged to give us access to the under bed storage. Rather than trying to put an extension on it, I just replaced the original piece from the hinge on out with a wider piece of plywood of the same thickness. That gave us the added length we needed with plenty of support.

Patnsuzanne said:
The platform under our bed is hinged to give us access to the under bed storage. Rather than trying to put an extension on it, I just replaced the original piece from the hinge on out with a wider piece of plywood of the same thickness. That gave us the added length we needed with plenty of support.
If bed is on a slideout,  the platform needs to fold or stow out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom