Anyone towing a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin1959

Just bought a new Jeep. 2013 Wrangler Sport. What  type of towing gear do you use. Thanks in advance. More questions soon I'm sure !

Well.....
I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I use the Blue Ox system. The tail light is wired separately. I also have the ability to put the transfer case in neutral, the shift lever in park, and remove the ignition key when towing the Jeep. I use a brake buddy for the auxiliary braking. The only time I can feel the Jeep behind me  is when I step on the brakes in the coach and can feel the brake buddy kick in.

I have a 2004 (LOVE it!).

We have a Demco baseplate on the Jeep and use the Ready Brute Elite (The "Elite" has integrated breaking so you don't need a separate breaking unit inside the Jeep). Very easy set up and highly recommend.

Here's that link:

http://www.readybrake.com/tow-bars.html

I'm starting to severely panic here. You would think I would have done this before buying the jeep !! Jeep weight is 3800 lbs, give or take 100 llllbs. Motor home documents say hitch can pull 3500 lb max. Oh no......................

You are overweight. You have 2 options.  1. Install a 5000# cap hitch  $300-400.
                                                              2. Go with what you got. Will it work? yes. Is it completely safe? No. Will it be ripped off the coach? Nah.

If you decide to go with it as is, make sure you have a good braking system and minimize the load in the jeep ( don't use it for storage)

Just go to a hitch shop.

That being said pay attention to your GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING (GVWR) make sure you don't go over that.

Steve, thanks for the info. Confusing as hell ! GVWR says 14050 lbs. GCWR says 20,000 lbs. Why would I only have a 3500 lb hitch ? 

Builders choice??? I don't know but with those numbers you should be good to go. Get a 5k hitch and run with it.

On a side note, I have a thread running where I am trying to decide between a sport or a Rubicon.  Gonna decide in the next day or so...

We have a 1999 Wrangler Sahara that we've towed for awhile using a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar, and Air Force One braking system.  We recently bought a 2013 4 door Rubicon (which I love) but haven't set it up to tow yet.  We just purchased the bracket and light kit from Roadmaster and are trying to decide whether to take the old Air Force One parts off the old jeep, or purchase a new one.  They don't sell 2nd car kits so we have to buy the entire kit...even the part that goes on the MH!  Expensive too! 

Good Luck with your towing project, I feel your pain!

Mikie

Kevin1959 said:
Steve, thanks for the info. Confusing as hell ! GVWR says 14050 lbs. GCWR says 20,000 lbs. Why would I only have a 3500 lb hitch ?
I believe your Cambria is a class C, right?  Most class Cs have had the frame extended behind the rear axle to add floor space.  Just how this is done can change the towing capabilities of the overall vehicle.  The GCWR stated is for the original chassis and does not take into consideration what the MH mfgr has done to it.  Commonly, a class C will be rated at 3500 lb because the MH mfgr's "engineering" has determined the coach is only capable of 3500 lbs safely with the extended frame.

That said, my old Coachmen had a 3500 lb hitch and the chassis was rated at over 5000 lb cargo capacity, just like yours.  I contacted Coachmen and was told it could take a 5000 lb load (I got that in writing).  However, I was unable to find a 5000 lb hitch that would bolt on due to the taper of the frame at the extreme rear for ground clearance and was unable to find a welder willing to build one and certify it for 5000 lb.  I wanted to tow a 3750 lb Jeep Unlimited.  I added two heavy steel straps from the hitch (plate where tow chains connect) and angled back to the frame about 3'.  In my mind, this gave improved lateral strength and improved towing capacity.  Just how it might have fared in an accident, legal wise, I haven't a clue.  But, I felt it was safe enough to allow towing an extra 250 lbs.  I no longer use that MH since I purchased a new ERA recently.

Point being, I recommend you first contact Winnebago and ask if the frame can handle 5000 lbs.  If so, then go looking for a 5000 lb. hitch.

Contacted Winnebago and the guy talked me off the ledge !! I do in fact have the 5000 lb hitch. Life is good !! Trying now to find the best deal on the Ready Brute Elite Tow bar.

Check Craigslist! Lots of great deals on tow bars.  I found a blue ox and brake for $450!

I'm not completely sold on that cable brake system. If you are out of adjustment I could see real problems. Mabey no diff. Than any other, but not sure.

captsteve said:
Check Craigslist! Lots of great deals on tow bars.  I found a blue ox and brake for $450!

I'm not completely sold on that cable brake system. If you are out of adjustment I could see real problems. Mabey no diff. Than any other, but not sure.
With my ReadyBrake system all I do is test it by flexing the brake cable a bit and watching for the toad brake lights to go on and off.  I use a turnbucket to adjust as necessary and apply a piece of duct tape to the turnbucket to keep it from changing in flight - seldom is adjustment necessary.  I can't imagine any other braking system that operates the toad brake pedal requiring much less attention.

It looks pretty slick ! Shopping around now . Leaning towards Towbars Unlimited.

Kevin1959 said:
It looks pretty slick ! Shopping around now . Leaning towards Towbars Unlimited.
That's where I got my ReadyBrute Elite and exverything I needed to get set up to tow.  Nice feller to deal with.

Kevin1959 said:
Just ordered it. Thanks for input. What are you towing?
Actually, I just quit.  I WAS towing a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited up until I bought a new Winnebago ERA.  Now I don't feel the need to tow anything since the ERA will go most anywhere I'll want to go.  The Jeep (and ReadyBrute tow bar) is for sale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom