Apple TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mylo said:
How are you guys powering your ATV and/or your NAS in your RV?

I plug it  in and press the 'on' button. I did not realise there was anything particular to worry about. I have a spare Monster Powerbar, would that ensure it was safe? I think that cleans up power feed and also protects from surge.  Is that what you meant?

JPW - I guess I was implying a boondocking situation, where you wanted to use the Apple TV. You'd need an inverter, like what Ned uses. It's a bummer that Apple chose to internalize their power supply in this case. Although, for the non-RVer - it's a cleaner design. My small TV that I bought came with a wall wort and (serendipitously) runs off of 12V. So I just chucked the wall wort. If I want to run the ATV while boondocking, I'll need an inverter. I was concerned that the cheaper inverters would wreak havoc on the sensitive electronics, that's all.

It sounds like you are only using this setup when you have shore power. The monster powerbar should protect it fine, in that situation.

Mylo

Yep, I have not gone off grid yet although we were thinking about getting a Honda 2000 generator this winter.  I will have to research inverters it seems!

Hi,

There is a place the sells converted AppleTV that power from DC source.  They take out the AC board and convert it to use on DC power.

mikegyver.com/AppleTV-in-Car

From looking at their blog, seems they will be also be selling the AirPort Extreme too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjay
Back
Top Bottom