Appliances: Microwave and Refrigerator Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MicheleF

First the Microwave/Convection oven:
It died at the end of last summer when we had an electrical issue - I've been okay without it, but as the weather gets a little more iffy - I'm starting to get a little antsy.  It's a Dometic.  My question is: Is there anything special about this brand or am I okay putting a residential micro/convection in there?  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Refrigerator:
It is likely related to the same incident, but it doesn't seem to want to run on shore power, just propane.  That became a problem this week when we ran out of propane while we weren't at the trailer - and ended up tossing a bunch of stuff when we got there on the weekend.  Any ideas on where to start?  Husband is super-handy, but at a loss as to where to start troubleshooting - everything else works great in the trailer.

Also - any thoughts as to whether either or both of these should be covered by insurance?

Thanks as always -

Michele

Dometic probably just rebranded some other microwave with their label and there is nothing unique about RV microwaves. just find one that fits.

Of r the fridge, start by verifying that 120vac reaches the fridge - it is usually plugged into a standard wall outlet behind the firdge (accessed from outside). If that's ok, there is a fuse on the circuit boards that might have blown. Last, its the AC heater element. What model Dometic is it? He can get a service manual for it here: http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

MicheleF said:
First the Microwave/Convection oven:
It died at the end of last summer when we had an electrical issue - I've been okay without it, but as the weather gets a little more iffy - I'm starting to get a little antsy.  It's a Dometic.  My question is: Is there anything special about this brand or am I okay putting a residential micro/convection in there?  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Refrigerator:
It is likely related to the same incident, but it doesn't seem to want to run on shore power, just propane.  That became a problem this week when we ran out of propane while we weren't at the trailer - and ended up tossing a bunch of stuff when we got there on the weekend.  Any ideas on where to start?  Husband is super-handy, but at a loss as to where to start troubleshooting - everything else works great in the trailer.

Also - any thoughts as to whether either or both of these should be covered by insurance?

Thanks as always -

Michele

What kind of 'issue" did you have?  If lightning damage yes.  If some other type of power surge, likely not.

As mentioned, Just find a micro/convection that matches you demensions.  You may have to mount the brackets to the new unit by drilling holes in the outer case. 

I have an exercise for you.. OPEN the door on that Dometic and check to see if there is a manufacturer's ID label benind it.. (NOTE: said label can also be on the back side of the unit were you'd have to remove it to see it)

I do not known about Microwave/Convection ovens but Dometic does not make Microwaves.. They make Doors, that's all.

The microwave in my unit says Dometic on the door..... The manufacturer's ID is LG (Lucky Goldstar) and the model number happens to be an LG model number (Dometic copied that too).. And like all LG products I have ever owned... IT DID NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Does now.. but that is only because I have engineering training and electronics training and experience.  I re-designed one part, Replaced another with a GE part and did a bit of machining to make it work.. All good now.

But as delivered, save for the name on the door, it was an off-the-shelf at Best Buy LG microwave.

NOTE: Dometic re-labels several different manufacturers, I do not believe yours will be an LG.  Could be most any better brand though (Hard to find a worse brand)

I changed my convection/microwave last year. I did a google search with the dimensions as a start. I found a direct replacement for mine (GE) from Home Depot with free home delivery. You should look at how it is mounted and take some pictures to help when you go back together.
I put a couple of cushions on the stove top to protect it (just in case you slip).
Myine was glued to the back wall with silicone adhesive to reduce vibration.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
I changed my convection/microwave last year. I did a google search with the dimensions as a start. I found a direct replacement for mine (GE) from Home Depot with free home delivery. You should look at how it is mounted and take some pictures to help when you go back together.
I put a couple of cushions on the stove top to protect it (just in case you slip).
Myine was glued to the back wall with silicone adhesive to reduce vibration.
Bill

Can the brackets from the current model be installed on a new oven?  If so - any hints on how?

Maybe. It all depends on the specific model you have and what you get. There is no mounting standard for microwaves, and most of them just sit on a countertop or in a cabinet anyway. Larger models designed for over-the-stove mounting may come with brackets, but smaller ones usually do not.

The brackets you have may have been custom-fabricated simply because in an RV the microwave gets bounced around.

There is a fair chance that your old microwave just blew an internal fuse. Somebody handy might be able to replace it, but working inside a microwave requires caution because high voltage may be present even with the unit unplugged (it has a big capacitor inside)!

You mentioned that you had an "electrical issue", the 1st thing I would do is ensure that the "electrical issue" is fixed, if it was caused by a power surge, make sure you have some type of power protection at the hook-up. You can install any type of microwave you want that fits, again, just make sure the electrical can handle the required power.
Good Luck
John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom