Awesome battery solution for RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cost & value really depends on "perception". If people "believe" something has a greater value, such as better quality, then they are will to pay more for it.

It doesn't matter if it really is that much better than a competitor. While it can't be a piece of junk, it has to look like quality and they need to find a way to convince you it is better.
-- People buy a Cadillac rather than a Chevy. It costs more so it has to be better. But it pretty much has the same engine, drive train, as well as body and frame components. Better sound proofing, but the basic body & frame are the same.

A 10 year warranty is an example. People believe that it has to be a better product otherwise the mfg would not have given that long a warranty. Then if the mfg does quickly fix or replace the few defective items, people are still happy because they feel they are getting good service.

A 10 year warranty is only as good as the company behind the product.
-- Will they still be around in 8 years?
-- 6 years from now when you tell them the battery is bad, are they going to tell you that you abused the battery so they are not going to replace it.
-- Will you still have the receipt proving when and where you bought it? Companies are betting that you won't so they don't have to replace it.
-- 5 years from now if or when the batteries are failing, they would have sold so many of them at an inflated price, that they made their money. The few claims they get that far down the road isn't going to matter that much.

If you are going to build your own battery, check out Will Prowse's video testing a set of 4 280AH lithium cells that sell for about $110 each or $433 total, plus a BMS from Amazon.
The problem with this is that the cells shown here DO NOT have a 10 year warranty, whereas the ones in the video do. The cells shown in the video DO NOT have any real form of customer support, so if you have any issues its up to you to figure that out, whereas the ones in our video have US based customer support that you can pick up the phone or send an email, and have quick, clear, and concise customer support.

My new lith battery is spec'ed at 12.8 volts when 95% discharged. You won't get that type of performance from your Trojans.
We just got done publishing our capacity test video, here are the results we came up with:

EA170 Discharge Capacity.png

As you can see by the following discharge curve, the claims that LFP are far more flat than lead acid are proven. You can see most of the capacity is from 3.3v to 3.1v, in other words, 13.2v to 12.4 volts. What also is true, is that when your batteries are greater than 95% discharged, you still have a high enough voltage to get your generator started, that is, if your generator was wired into your house battery bank for starting.

EA170 Cell Discharge Curve.png

The problem with this is that the cells shown here DO NOT have a 10 year warranty, whereas the ones in the video do. The cells shown in the video DO NOT have any real form of customer support, so if you have any issues its up to you to figure that out, whereas the ones in our video have US based customer support that you can pick up the phone or send an email, and have quick, clear, and concise customer support.
Yes, the 10 year warranty is nice.

Since you are the seller, as well as the creator of DIY video, I believe these thoughts should be considered in regard to the warranty.
-- If your business is still around in 5, 6, 8, or 9 years.
-- Hasn't moved, changed names, etc, making you difficult to find years from now.
-- If the buyer still has the receipt showing they are the original owner.

There is the thought that if someone feels comfortable in assembling this type of package using a meter, making sure of polarity, etc. Then they would also feel comfortable removing the defective cell and installing an new one. Which I would assume they would have to do if they called you for a replacement.

Technical support could come in handy for many.

BTW, I think your battery package is well put together and easy to assemble, most people should be able to handle the process. I also feel the price is pretty much in line with what I would expect

What also is true, is that when your batteries are greater than 95% discharged, you still have a high enough voltage to get your generator started, that is, if your generator was wired into your house battery bank for starting.
Not much of an issue, when we can charge the house battery by starting the vehicle engine. My generator does start from the house battery, which I think is best because then the generator can really be started from either battery, just use the engine battery to charge the house battery enough to start the generator.

-Don- Reno, NV

There are just some things that I leave to the mass producers. I have seen huge battery explosions and resulting wiring fires that scares me from becoming a battery builder. Sometimes things are cheaper the first time around, even at double the costs.

There are just some things that I leave to the mass producers. I have seen huge battery explosions and resulting wiring fires that scares me from becoming a battery builder. Sometimes things are cheaper the first time around, even at double the costs.
For me, a thing to be more scared of is driving on the highways. 30,000 to 40,000 deaths every year and probably hundreds of thousands of serious injuries as well.

Way, way more dangerous IMO than the LiFePO4 batteries we use in RV's.

As far as my assembly of the battery components or leaving it to a way underpaid minimum wage US worker or foreign worker, both possibly pushed to get things assembled as fast at they can. Well, I'll take my work over theirs any day. At least I know what components are in the battery and how well they are put together.

I know this is an older thread but I feel I should give some free advice to HighTechLab.

If you start your pitch by telling me that what I own is junk,

instead of those junk lead-acid batteries you have been using.

you lose my attention in a real hurry. No one likes to be insulted, no one likes to be called out as owning "junk". The insinuation is that I was somehow too stupid to by Lithium when I bought batteries but now you're here to save me.

My lead acid batteries are NOT JUNK! They work perfectly fine for the purpose they were purchased for. They were a price I could afford and were easy to install. Your batteries may be better, cheaper, more reliable etc but insulting me won't make me look at them.

I didn't even watch the video and I'm an Electronics Engineering Technologist that has been working on inverters and power supplies for 25 years!

IMHO, If you hope to be a success in business you need to take some classes on marketing and promotion.

Unbelievable that they think they can generate sales with insults. Was I the only one insulted?

JayArr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom