Awning Tension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieselisle

I bought my first camper with no awning. A neighbors friend gave me an awning that he used for 1 year.
Its all A&E, screw holes were already there, fit was perfect. Problem is, the pin was not replaced when he removed it and the spring tension was released.
Is it as simple as turning it a few times to give it some tension? I tried turning it and it does tighten up. I just don't know how tight it needs to be.
Tony

Re awning tension.
Damn, I just threw away the A+E installation manual, and it gives the correct number of turns for a certain awning. What you need to do is measure how wide the boom is that the awning is attached to, and then ask A+E or check their website.
Mine was 19 feet and needed 12 turns, but the narrower ones needed fewer turns. If you have a narrower awning, which only has ONE spring instead of one spring at each end like mine has, then it may not be critical how many turns you put on. If it rolls up all right, then it's good.
It is VERY IMPORTANT to understand that putting the turns on the spring (or springs) carrys a risk of SERIOUS INJURY. ie if you let it get loose it can flail around and hurt you. However we put the 12 turns on our awning by hand, but the awning latch was new and we could rely on it. Be careful.
Hope this helps, but others will chime in with the right number of turns.
Rankjo

I have the A&E procedure in a Word document.  Contact me at rbdtanasi at yahoo and I will send it to you.  The amount of tension is dependent on the awning length and model number.

Ranko, thanks for the info. Just so happens I have a 19ft with springs at each end. It is new so I think I'm safe from that stand point.
I do realize the danger involved. Had a friend get his face rebuilt after a garage door spring let go.

Rex, I sent an email. Could use all the info I can get.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom