Awning's over slide outs...to get or not to get question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wheyin

Hi, fellow freedom lovers

You all have been so helpful, with answering questions for me.  As you know, my husband and I will be buying the new fiver, we found one we like and can live with the floor plan.  We have an option to get the roll out awnings attached to the slide outs.  Now the RV rep, said "Well, it is up to you, but my opinion is they make flapping noise when the wind is howling, and you can not get it to quit unless you bring the slide out in it can be annoying."  We do not have them on our current fiver, and wonder if there are in pro's to getting them, and any cons?  We do camp where it can get quite windy, so does that mean they can just rip right off? or are they just another thing to replace when needed?  I was thinking they would protect the slide outs a little, and provide shade over the top...but wonder if it is more cosmetic than really useful?  I look forward to your help, and thank you in advance for your time.  Safe travels....

How often have you or your husband had to get up on the roof or a ladder to clean accumulated leaves and other debris off the slide before closing it? Other than for several inches of snow on our awning, we never do. Our slide awning can get noisy in a brisk wind, but if we're expecting really high winds, it only takes me a couple of minutes to toss a light weight rope over the awning running from end to end in the center. It's secured at the bottom with a couple of bungee cords and virtually eliminates most flapping.

NY_Dutch said:
How often have you or your husband had to get up on the roof or a ladder to clean accumulated leaves and other debris off the slide before closing it? Other than for several inches of snow on our awning, we never do. Our slide awning can get noisy in a brisk wind, but if we're expecting really high winds, it only takes me a couple of minutes to toss a light weight rope over the awning running from end to end in the center. It's secured at the bottom with a couple of bungee cords and virtually eliminates most flapping.

Can't leaves and other debris blow in from the ends ?

Jack L

JackL said:
Can't leaves and other debris blow in from the ends ?

Jack L

Of course they can, although it's rarely a problem. I've never had to clean any leaves out from under our slide awning, even when parked directly under live oak trees in Florida for weeks at a time.  That did require raking our site once a week or so though... ;)

Leaves and debris on top of the slide get pushed past the seal when the slide is moved in.  This can damage the seal and allow future water intrusion.

I know that I do NOT climb up to inspect for leaves and debris before running in the slides.
Wait!  I don't have to!  I have slide awnings to prevent the leaves and debris from falling on my slide!  :-D

2 seasons with the slide awnings and all is good so far.  Have not had any flapping, but I will keep the rope trick in mind if I do.

Our prior TT did not have a topper/awning. I would check it each time we came home by climbing up to make sure no leaves, sticks, etc. were stuck in the seal. No big deal for the most part - the one exception was that our last trip every year (Columbus Day weekend) is to a campground close to home full of pine trees. No ladder on the TT so I'd bring one with me and sweep it off before retracting it. Even doing that, I ended up picking out pine needles for an hour before winterizing it.

We went with a topper for the new 5er and we love it. Not only does it keep 99% of the debris off the slide roof but when closed, it is an extra layer of protection for the top seal - water just runs off rather than sit on the seal.The only down side is if it has rained, water pours off the topper and down the slide as it's being closed. I find this an inconvenience since quite a bit of ground will be soaked so depending on the ground cover in the site, it can get messy when packing up those last few items like blocks under the wheels. This would NOT stop me from getting another camper with a slide topper. I feel the positives much outweigh the negatives.

Yes they can and do flap in stronger winds.  If you frequently encounter winds like that, you may consider it annoying.

Yes they are effective at preventing debris on the top of the slide.  If you camp in open areas, this may not be of much value. If you typically camp under trees, probably it is at least a convenience and maybe even a damage preventative (to some degree).

:) Thank you, all very good points.  Seems more than not, folks do like them, and find them helpful.  I will say I have seen campers with these in campgrounds and have not noticed flapping sounds....but the bungee is a slick trick...for sure...will keep that in mind.  Thanks again for your help, why reinvent the wheel when others have been there and done that?... :)

Some folks put a beach ball between the slide roof and the topper to make water run off so it doesn't puddle.

Wouldn't be without the Toppers. Never had anything get under them. Made up a Rope/Bungee (like Dutch) set up for drainage & wind. Works well.

I also think there's an insulation value, when it comes to the Sun not being able the heat up the Slider roof(s) ?

:)Thank you, all for the feedback, it is very helpful..love the rope/bungee trick will keep it in mind.  I did wonder about value with sun on slideouts, so good to hear that feedback.

I am in agreement that the slide toppers have way more pros than cons. A lot of times if you have a problem with flapping, it's probably an OEM slide topper. Surprise surprise, manufacturers don't use the highest quality fabrics. If you replace your slide topper fabric with a better quality one and properly tension the spring you shouldn't have any flapping. I haven't purchased anything from them myself, but I've heard the products from toughtopawnings.com are top notch.

:)Thank you very much for the information, putting it on my phone as information so I do not forget...good idea!

I like the beach ball idea. Maybe a small one which would help with rain draining off and help keep with wind noise why we haven't experienced.

Yes on slide toppers ... rain will/can puddle ... retract slide in steps to let water run off.  Same with snow, although you may have to run a broom or wash brush on pole along the edge to knock the snow loose as your helper retracts the slide in small steps.  High enough wind from the right direction can cause flapping ... I like the rope idea, will keep that in mind. 

Howard and Kelly

I've also seen reports of folks putting a large pool noodle in under the slide.  I recall at least 1 where they put a rope into the noodle and used that to pull it out when getting ready to close up. 

FWIW, I have the toppers on my unit - DW did NOT want me getting on the roof any more than necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MGD
Back
Top Bottom