Back Up Monitor Conversion from BW to color??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayincorrales

Hello all,

I would like to convert my current Black and White back up monitor to color, but I'm not wild about trying to route a new cable to the rear of the coach. I have a 35 foot class A rig.

Does anyone know if it is simply possible to unconnect the B/W Monitor and Camera and install the new color monitor and camera to the existing cable?

I have searched in vain for users manuals for the Audiovox "Voyager" camera and monitor (which is what I have now).

Thanks for any information on whether or not this is feasible, or any ideas on how to find a manual.

Ray in Corrales

Probably, assuming the two devices use the same sort of cable and connectors.  The color transmission may be somewhat more susceptible to interference than the b&W, but is not inherently different and can be carried on the same type of cable.  Typically the cable used is an inexpensive wire with RCA plugs on either end. Not the greatest for video, but usable. We aren't talking HDTV here!  You can inspect the ends of the cable you now have and once you know what wirting you have, attempt to buy something with a matching connector.

Running a new cable may not be too big a deal, though. Run it underneath the coach and then bring it up to the dash board in front. At the back you can usually drop the cable down in the space between the rear cap and the interior wall.

Generally I'd say yes, the wires should just switch over. IN fact in my rig the monitor is COLOR, only the camera is B&W

One thing you might wish to consider is that the b&w camera has better variable light performance, Color cameras are more fussy about light levels.

I am aware of one individual that changed the B&W system to color but ended up returning it to B&W because he was not satisfied with its performance.  Unfortunately I never seen it.

Good point about the light levels. You need a fairly sophisticated (read expensive) camera like the Sony to get good color performance in shade or twilight and also in very bright light. The high end cameras have more sophisticated light gathering ability, opening up the lens to gather more light when it is dark and stopping down the lens in very bright light - just like an automatic exposure camera does.

Personally, the only reason I'd have a color monitor would be to interface it with a GPS system. My eyes don't work well with the small screen on my 2610, so it would help a lot. That would require one with dual inputs and a compatible GPS receiver or connection to a computer running something like Streets and Trips with the receiver attached to it, and a video output. Keep in mind too that when light levels fall to the point where you need to use the built-in illumination (LEDs) for the back-up camera, those LEDs are infrared, and will render everything in b/w only - not that you really need to see color at night.

Go here for information on the Voyager.

http://www.asaelectronics.com/category.html?m=mfg&catid=voyager&page=voyager

Thanks to all, I've been away on business...I appreciate the comments about the b/w versus color for detail. I was hoping that color would be easier to see in low light or shadows, that seems to be an optimistic hope. I also appreciate the website link, I was able to find broucheres there...

Maybe I'll consider changing the b/w camera and then monitor first (or maybe I'll just get used to the system as is).

Ray

Back
Top Bottom