Backing a tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't drive a compact car 2/3 of your life then jump in a 40 ft MH towing a toad and expect to be a expert driver over night. You will only learn with practice. Get the rig and tow vehicle and practice. It will come with practice.

Ned said:
You can back up with a tow attached, BUT only if you're lined up straight or nearly so, and you DO NOT turn the motorhome steering wheel while backing very slowly.  Have someone watch the front wheels of the towed and signal an immediate stop when they start to caster.  We've done this numerous times, backing up as much as a motorhome length.  We also have a Canyon but did this with our previous Honda Accord as well.

Of course, it's best to avoid situations where you would have to back up, but sometimes we find out too late that we can't pull out forward.

Thank you! Great info to know.

Ned said:
You can back up with a tow attached, BUT only if you're lined up straight or nearly so, and you DO NOT turn the motorhome steering wheel while backing very slowly.  Have someone watch the front wheels of the towed and signal an immediate stop when they start to caster.  We've done this numerous times, backing up as much as a motorhome length.  We also have a Canyon but did this with our previous Honda Accord as well.

Of course, it's best to avoid situations where you would have to back up, but sometimes we find out too late that we can't pull out forward.

Ditto. We have backed up with both our previous tow 09 Saturn Vue XR AWD and our current tow with no problems following above rule. That being said our tow bar (as I am sure is with others) states not to back up with the tow bar. We have had no problem for 5 years (knock on wood).

HAD to back up yesterday,,, About 3 feet  STRAIGHT,, No problems.

I just realized I did over 800 miles (802.1 I think) in 48 hours.. Been a long time since I made that kind of millage.  The last 170 were the hardest..

Day 1 (Wed) left Taylor about 2-3 PM  Slept at a Wal-Mart north of Cincinnatti somewhere (Forget exactly where).

Day 2,  Re-filled tank in Georgetown KY slept in Voile (Spelling) Tn at a Food City store lot (Cloosed for Thanksgiving) next to a Gas and Go (24 hour no attendant).

Day 3: FOG, for about 5 miles, light to medium (high beams sometimes worked well sometimes not) stopped at a Wal*Mart 7 miles south of Food City to get a new small Singer Sewing Machine (VIVO) at Black Friday prices (Almost no customers in store at 7am) and re-fill tank a 2nd time.. Then on across the foothills.  I do so love (NOT) mountain style driving, narrow twisting roads, steep grades and so on, Computer gave me good directions but I'm still improving that route.  Arrived Seneca about 2-3 PM  Registered site (2 days) 50 amps, Nice and comfortable, Had to open windows and turn on Fantastic fan it was so warm.. (nice).

Oh, also day 2: FIXED DASH BLOWER before hitting road.. (broken ground terminal, but I mentioned that somewhere already).

But it's been along time since I made 800 miles in  2 days driving.

Glad it was you and not me...I'd be happier doing that in 3 days...there was a time when doing it in 1 day was the norm... some ideas do get better w/age.

George

The advice from one who pulls double trailers for a living....

The way to not have to worry about backing up is not putting yourself in that position to begin with...  Walk and look and then come back and proceed if you have to.

In well over 50,000 miles, we have had to decouple only 3 times. I might point out that all 3 were my wife's fault. Actually not true, but she doesn't read this. Being careful isn't a problem.

I have backed up a few times. Unhooking wasn't an option as we were in heavy traffic. Wife sat in toad and made sure wheel stayed in line with arc of travel. Backed up 20 ft without problem. Still not our most desirable way, but when necessary it could be done.

Lindsay Richards said:
In well over 50,000 miles, we have had to decouple only 3 times. I might point out that all 3 were my wife's fault. Actually not true, but she doesn't read this. Being careful isn't a problem.

Ha Ha! Love it!  :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom